12:31

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Virtual Railways

Plain old 3D Computer Render Modelling...

Old 22nd December 2008, 19:03

Plain old 3D Computer Render Modelling...

Hiya!

I wasn't sure where to post so I posted in the "Railway Modelling" Forum and rather than repeat all that I could direct you there? I'm also unsure if the people on this forum read stuff on that forum and so on
Plain and simple - I don't use a train simulator, I'm just modelling a train in a 3D render package called POVray. Is there anyone here doing anything similar?

cheers!
--
Olly

Old 24th June 2009, 15:09

yes i model things for a living. this is one that i did not to long ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZaIo...e=channel_page
Old 13th November 2009, 23:40

Ah! My apologies for the late reply! I haven't looked in here for a while.
I like the model! Do I take it this was measured from some real model to create a point cloud?
POVray works using a set of fundamental solids and entered via text (although there are front ends like Moray, I don't use them)
I keep 3D modelling purely for a hobby and steam trains are a recent variation of subject matter. My original post was to find out how many people are involved in the practice and it seems we're a rare bunch in the UK. There are some modellers around the world with websites set up and I might do one specifically for my steam creations one day.
My latest subject has been an Austerity shunter (see attached)
Are we divided in our interests by the fuel source we use?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg austerity.jpg (285.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 17th November 2009, 13:15

hi. the point cloud was taken from a lazer scanner so the computer model is full size. then we us software like cyclone and rhino to make a surface model. the surface models are then scaled down to form the models. the company that make them is called dapol. upto now we have modeled a thumper,beaty and a sentinal. trains are not our normal type of work . its normaly bridges and tunnels for the network rail. how long have you been modeling for?
Old 26th January 2010, 20:23

Ah, your stuff sounds rather more professional than my hobby work. I started modelling stuff in POVray in 2003 and on and off since then. Mostly sci-fi - spaceships, cylon warriors - that sort of usual stuff. Trains has been a fun sideline for some free gaming material some friends and I are creating.