13:59

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Hs2 on channel 4

Old 2nd August 2011, 21:19

Making a new line useable to locals would be overly expensive and miss the point of having a high speed line. The transit time from London to Birmingham will be so quick that once you get UK trains scheduled in to the timetable and add in the European trains that UK plc are anticipating operating from afar then frequency of trains passing each way might get a bit of a nusance. I dont think it would take long for the railway companies across EU start looking to attract customers away from airlines at all costs.

Old 3rd August 2011, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox Phil View Post
By the way if ever it came to "my back yard" I would not stand in its way I would welcome the improvements.
Best regards
Phil
Phil, I'd welcome ANY railway near me! Our railway in Gosport was closed to passengers in 1953, long before Beeching's railicide, and goods finished in 1969, MoD traffic to Bedenham stopped c.1991, and now the line's being turned into a 'dedicated busway'. Gosport is on a peninsula, and with a population close to 80,000, the two roads in and out are gridlocked at 'rush hours' (rush? - it's taken me over 50 minutes to get 3 miles by bus). Nearest station is Fareham (a half mile walk from the bus station) or Portsmouth Harbour (bus ride + £2.70 ferry ride).
ANY railway!

Have a look:-
http://daverowland.smugmug.com/Gospo...y-Past-Present
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4993a-GosportStation-before.jpg (77.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
Making a new line useable to locals would be overly expensive and miss the point of having a high speed line. The transit time from London to Birmingham will be so quick that once you get UK trains scheduled in to the timetable and add in the European trains that UK plc are anticipating operating from afar then frequency of trains passing each way might get a bit of a nusance. I dont think it would take long for the railway companies across EU start looking to attract customers away from airlines at all costs.
That's why I suggested a parallel line, which wouldn't affect the fast line. With track connections only at strategic points, the 'normal' line might also be of some further use in the event of 'fast line' breakdowns - affected fast trains could be rescued and moved to wherever via the slow line, so reducing delays to other fast trains. Compatible locos (preferably diesel) could be based at these strategic points to deal quickly with such eventualities. Of course, this won't happen - whenever did common sense and practicality ever prevail in our rail system?
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:39

HS1 has the Javelin's for "local" services which do not get in the way.

I wasn't suggesting lots of local stations. But probably, like HS1 at Ashford and Ebsfleet a couple of hubs.
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Road View Post
HS1 has the Javelin's for "local" services which do not get in the way.

I wasn't suggesting lots of local stations. But probably, like HS1 at Ashford and Ebsfleet a couple of hubs.
Actually, from reports I've read, they DO get in the way - 'normal' trains have been affected, with stops being dropped from schedules, and longer journey times for those passengers not living in the right places. Regular passengers see themselves as having been left with a sub-standard service to allow those who can afford it to be whisked from A to B at high speed. Again, as someone else has pointed out, the high speed services benefit those with deep pockets at the expense of the average passenger. So what's new....
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:06

Point taken David, but I wasn't aware of serious problems with the Javelins.

High Speed rail is not for the rich only. We travelled to Switzerland last by Eurostar and TGV. It took about 3 hours longer than by plane but it was so much easier and not huglely expensive.

Around £100 return London to Geneva.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Road View Post
Point taken David, but I wasn't aware of serious problems with the Javelins.

High Speed rail is not for the rich only. We travelled to Switzerland last by Eurostar and TGV. It took about 3 hours longer than by plane but it was so much easier and not huglely expensive.

Around £100 return London to Geneva.
Just going by a number of adverse reports with not many happy bunnies!
The return price you quoted isn't bad, I'm assuming that the further you go, the more economical it works out; just not very cheap if you're only travelling within the UK. However, I might have to investigate some Eurostar prices, I've just come back from Brno, in the Czech Republic by plane; less than two hours, but it's all the faffing around at airports that wears me down, maybe I'll see what the other, leg-friendly, options are for future jaunts. Is there a Senior discount for Eurostars etc?
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:26

Yes Dave we went by air to Vienna a while ago but it took 2hours at Heathrow just to get on the thing!

St. Pancras was a doddle and at Geneva straight on the train.

I did shop around for this deal, Eurostar and SNCF both offer senior discounts. I booked on two seperate sites. The Eurostar site gave me a good deal to Paris, but not that good if I booked through to Geneva.

Avoid a cross city journey in Paris if you can, its a real hassle, and change at Lille.
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:53

Exclamation

[QUOTE=Dave Rowland;62773]Phil, I'd welcome ANY railway near me! Our railway in Gosport was closed to passengers in 1953, long before Beeching's railicide, and goods finished in 1969, MoD traffic to Bedenham stopped c.1991, and now the line's being turned into a 'dedicated busway'. Gosport is on a peninsula, and with a population close to 80,000, the two roads in and out are gridlocked at 'rush hours' (rush? - it's taken me over 50 minutes to get 3 miles by bus). Nearest station is Fareham (a half mile walk from the bus station) or Portsmouth Harbour (bus ride + £2.70 ferry ride).
ANY railway!

Have a look:-
http://daverowland.smugmug.com/Gospo...y-Past-Present[/QUOTE

I see what you mean Dave. It seems madness not to reinstate a rail-link with much of the infrastructure still standing! I just cant understand why investment for the long term future of or railway network seems to be nonexistant in some areas! A bus route? come on am I missing something, what about all the polution and limited passenger numbers on a bus?
Anyway re the other comments re Air travel v Rail; for the short haul (up to 2/3 hours flying) it has to be the train due to all the security issues and having to be at the airport 1 to 2 hours before flight. Most airports are well away from city centres meaning more travel time and cost. The carbon footprint on that alone must be massive! The train - does it need an explanation? not to me it do'nt!!
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:21

[/QUOTE] I see what you mean Dave. It seems madness not to reinstate a rail-link with much of the infrastructure still standing! I just cant understand why investment for the long term future of or railway network seems to be nonexistant in some areas! A bus route? come on am I missing something, what about all the polution and limited passenger numbers on a bus?
Anyway re the other comments re Air travel v Rail; for the short haul (up to 2/3 hours flying) it has to be the train due to all the security issues and having to be at the airport 1 to 2 hours before flight. Most airports are well away from city centres meaning more travel time and cost. The carbon footprint on that alone must be massive! The train - does it need an explanation? not to me it do'nt!![/QUOTE]

The trouble in Gosport is that BR leased out some of the land as soon as goods services stopped in 1969, so by 1970/71 there was an estate of 27 houses built across the trackbed at the west end of the terminus, and an industrial estate built across the trackbed a few hundred yards west of that, so there wasn't ever much chance of reinstating the whole line as far as the station, which is a fair way from Gosport town itself - probably why not many passengers used the trains in the first place. However, although the Busway is (allegedly) going to end up at a new interchange at Fareham railway station (useful to me IF the busway gets about half a mile nearer to me), it's not going to make a jot of difference to the massive traffic problems here. Apart from a road west leading to the M27 and Southampton, both of the other roads out of Gosport meet up in Fareham on the A32, and it's far too built up here to do anything about it. Although causing major concerns since the early 1970s, this is what the local government has done to solve the road situation: allow the building of large housing estates and flats, and all spare land or old buildings are converted into flats, soon to include the former airfield at Lee-on-Solent and Haslar Hospital. Gross stupidity doesn't even begin to describe it.

Tags
hs2 pete waterman