23:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Hs2 on channel 4

Old 28th July 2011, 20:58

Hs2 on channel 4

Take a look at Pete Waterman getting steamed up over HS2 during a heated debate with Jon Snow and a NIMBY.

http://www.channel4.com/news/deadlin...2-rail-project

scroll down for the interview.

Old 29th July 2011, 17:13

Poor old Joe Rukin Got a proper [well deserved] tongue lashing from one of our hero's.
Old 29th July 2011, 20:32

They cant argue against common sense and the force of progress unfortunately. Try as they might and shout till the cows come home, these things will get built for the good of the nation and technology coupled with futuristic designs makes them so much better for the environment they pass through. The model shows the train above ground level whereas they have already shown that building the track bed with the rail head well below ground level and a slight raised bank right along the line virtually eliminates any track noise. Adding bushes does the rest to screen both trains and smother what noise does escape. Living close to a motorway is much worse than being next to a railway line.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:00

hs2 ch4

pete knows his stuff,he certainly laid in to that fella..good for him,we need high speed rail as the roads are chockablock,one slight worry is,will we be able to afford to travel on them?i have to use the coach sometimes as i am priced off the railways-london manchester 26o+ if not booked in advance.
Old 29th July 2011, 22:10

I agree; Pete Waterman does know his stuff, and I am an in favour of our country catching up with the rest of the world! We have to get cars off the road co's the alternative is to build more motorways and so more cars and polution! Who needs that. Our population is growing at a rate not seen since the war and we have to provide a sensible and sustainable transport system - Trains and trams have got to be the way forward. Bring it on!!! and well done Pete.
Old 1st August 2011, 22:14

Pete's after a knighthood then!!??
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:54

Pete was great and was spot on when he stated that the NYMBY guy knew nothing about railways.

However, the guy did have one point I would agree with and that is that there would appear to be no intermediate stations. HS1 has two and the SNCF network has quite a few entry points onto convential rail to other population centres on the TGV network.
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:38

However, the guy did have one point I would agree with and that is that there would appear to be no intermediate stations. HS1 has two and the SNCF network has quite a few entry points onto convential rail to other population centres on the TGV network.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, you can easily see the NIMBYs' point; the line will travel through a whole area in their vicinity which isn't going to be of any benefit whatsoever to the local populace, who will be losing land, drops in property values, etc etc. Two or three (or more) stations in appropriate positions might at least get some on side. Perhaps a wider trackbed, with the facility for normal trains running along a parallel course, would at least give them a look in, and be of some use for THEM to commute, or whatever.
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:47

Yes Dave I agree
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:55

Hi Dave, I too agree that could be a solution to winning more hearts by adding a local service, in fact that should be a major consideration, but the investment has to be for the better of the wider community and country as a whole. The project from my understanding will take into account local concerns by building the line below ground level as mentioned by Klordger1900 previously.
By the way if ever it came to "my back yard" I would not stand in its way I would welcome the improvements.
Best regards
Phil

Tags
hs2 pete waterman