12:04

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

DCC?

Old 15th September 2010, 16:06

DCC?

Help needed please.
I've decided to go 'DCC' but haven't a clue what I would need to get, any recommendations for what system would be good value? And what would I need to get for an initial package? Any help gratefully recieved!

Old 17th September 2010, 12:47

If you can't get to a model shop that will let you test the available systems, I suggest you read some reviews, but in reality nothing is as good as hands on experience.

The absolute musts to buy are the controller and the locomotive decoders, everything else is optional.

If you're on a budget, you can get Bachmann's Dynamis for as low as £85, but many have claimed to have had problems with it and it is a little basic, I have not had problems with it yet. NCB's Powercab is widely regarded as a good controller, but sells for around £135. ZTC also have some controllers with good reviews.

Decoders start from around ten pounds for the basic Hornby and Bachmann efforts, but can cost much more for the all singing all dancing decoders from speciallist suppliers.

Some older models and quite a few Heljan models require the better quality decoders as the power drawn is higher apparently.

It is generally recommended that you have as many power feeds from the controller to the track as you can, right the way up to one per piece of track, using a power bus running under the board and around the layout. On small layouts one feed may be enough, but larger layouts will be served with more.

Just remember, no matter what the instructions say, NEVER USE DC LOCOS ON DCC POWERED TRACKS.

Well that's a start, hopefully someone else can add more help, or if you have specific questions fire away. Equally, most model railway web forums have DCC sections which may contain many of the answers you may need.

Good luck with it.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 17th September 2010, 14:25

Many thanks for the advice, will go along to Kernow Models in Camborne, and have a chat next week probably!
Old 17th September 2010, 16:13
Station Manager

I use the NCE system which I find great. Their basic set up is around £100.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 27th September 2010, 16:37

I think it's nice to see digital control finally getting a foothold. Many oppose it, but to me the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks of countless switches and wire everywhere, especially for fans of electrofrog points.

Amazing to think what we have today is fundamentally similar to a system we had 30 years ago, but for some reason it didn't take off then. Maybe we just weren't ready for it.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfubar View Post
I think it's nice to see digital control finally getting a foothold. Many oppose it, but to me the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks of countless switches and wire everywhere, especially for fans of electrofrog points.

Amazing to think what we have today is fundamentally similar to a system we had 30 years ago, but for some reason it didn't take off then. Maybe we just weren't ready for it.
I don't think we oppose it, those who don't use it - for me it is far too expensive!!
Old 28th September 2010, 13:11

Indeed many may not make the switch (sorry! ) due to costs or other considerations. I wasn't meaning those people. I was meaning the 'old skool' modelers who feel digital control threatens to make obsolete a key integral part of their craft. It was probably unfair to say 'many' oppose it. But there are definitely some. I only personally know of one such person, but I doubt he's alone. To him, digital control is 'cheating'.

Last edited by majorfubar; 28th September 2010 at 13:13.
Old 28th September 2010, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfubar View Post
Indeed many may not make the switch (sorry! ) due to costs or other considerations. I wasn't meaning those people. I was meaning the 'old skool' modelers who feel digital control threatens to make obsolete a key integral part of their craft. It was probably unfair to say 'many' oppose it. But there are definitely some. I only personally know of one such person, but I doubt he's alone. To him, digital control is 'cheating'.
Thanks for that
Old 29th September 2010, 03:36

Unhappy

for me it is far too expensive!!...............
Old 29th September 2010, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxokid View Post
for me it is far too expensive!!...............
I wonder how true that is for a great many modellers?