23:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Train driver forgot to make stop (BBC News)

Old 15th March 2010, 11:25

I remember the incident at Largs a few years past !!

Unexpected appearance on the hight street.

Old 15th March 2010, 11:57

Whilst waiting in the hospital waiting room a couple of weeks ago I was reading a book called "Elephants on the line". some carriages were loose shunted through the station wall at Windermere station, 13th August 1962. One complete coach was outside the station !!
Old 15th March 2010, 12:02

And there is that famous (French?) photograph of a steam loco smashed through the buffer stops and wall of a station..........
Old 15th March 2010, 12:29

French indeed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg
Old 15th March 2010, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve from GWR View Post

yep thats the one! I wonder what catergory SPAD that was? lol
Old 15th March 2010, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Mouse View Post
yep thats the one! I wonder what catergory SPAD that was? lol
Thats the one with the caption OH S??T on it we used to have that poster on the inside of the toilet door at St Blazey depot .

ccmmick.

Old 15th March 2010, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
Thats the one with the caption OH S??T on it we used to have that poster on the inside of the toilet door at St Blazey depot .

ccmmick.

Saint-fèces? lol
Old 16th March 2010, 00:14

All these people who find they HAVE to criticise a train driver for making one mistake, ARE THEY 100% PERFECT in what they do in life, OR their job?
Old 16th March 2010, 06:14
Registered Member

No bramleyman, I doubt if they are mate, but sadly it is a fact of life, to make a scapegoat, and if a driver does make a mistake like not stopping at a station then the "I am perfect brigade" like to try and make a name for themselves and I doubt any of them have ever worked in transport or on the railway anyway.

Anyway It has happened before, it will happen again, no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes.

I know one thing, I am glad I worked 90% goods trains on the job, a wagon full of coal cant argue with you .
I used to get the chance of some passenger jobs,nice jobs some of them I admit, but I always preffered "down to earth" work, like trundling along on a dirty old goods train as opposed to dashing up and down the main line on passenger work.

There was more skill AND interest in working a train of coal or a loose coupled goods train and leaving "A" and getting to "B" with everything in good order and giving the Guard a good ride, treating your mate right on the engine, job sorted !

I can remember an old goods guard who absolutely hated any thought of passenger work and when he was in his brakevan he always had a couple of rubber pads which in later years were used by the Pway gangs for something or other, they were not that big and used to be found laying around in goods yards or sidings. Anyway if we were stopped in a station, usually by the "bobby" to wait for a passenger train to clear before giving us the road, this old guard used open the door on his stove in the van and put one of the rubber pads on his fire, when you looked back down the train standing in the platform, the brakevan was making more black smoke than the engine, but apart from his hate of all things passenger, there was method in his madness, because if it was a windy day, the smoke would go through doors and windows, into offices or the station buffet and without a doubt someone on the station would contact the box and get the "bobby" to pull off for us to clear the station. He never got questioned by the "powers that be"about his van smoking so much, and woe betide anyone that tried to enter his van without an invitation, no grade of management worried him, he was a real character, but a first class guard and you knew the train was ok when he had checked it.

Old 16th March 2010, 09:50

Puts on Septic Peg voice

I see the Driver having a Hi-lighter pen, a tiara and a sash saying
"Miss Didcot 2010" toooooooooooooo!!!!

Last edited by chuffchuff; 16th March 2010 at 09:51. Reason: smelling