20:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Train hits cars at level crossing (BBC News)

Old 18th January 2010, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
BTP have said that the barriers were open at the time of the accident. This is a strange one for sure.
That is very strange for sure if so that one will have to be looked into.

ccmmick.

Old 18th January 2010, 20:13

Local TV News has reported that the barriers were definitely up at the time of the collision. A local factory owner whose premises adjoin the crossing says that he understands that the cars had stopped at the barrier which was in the closed position. They then raised, the cars started to cross and were struck by the train.

He asked Network Rail engineers investigating the collision how it could have happened and they are said to have replied "We have no idea."

The barriers are said to have been replaced about three months ago but this incident could have serious repercussions for the hundreds of similar crossings up and down the country which we have always assumed are safe.

This crossing is now said to OK but many locals are reported to be refusing to use it and you really can't blame them..
Old 19th January 2010, 22:50

There should be a warning light for the driver of the train to show that the barriers are up or down ie red or green. This smash is too horrific to contemplate and I will certainly slow right down next time I cross one of them barriers to see if there are any lights coming. I always look both ways as a matter of habit but it will be walking pace in future and I dont care who is behind me or how much of a rush they are in to get round me.
Old 19th January 2010, 22:53

I just cant undestand it supposed to be fail safe something very bad went wrong.

ccmmick.

Old 20th January 2010, 00:02

Hereford and Worcester BBC Radio were reporting that the barriers were down then raised up and the train then appeared and hit the two cars.
The line is semaphore signalled at this point so are the barriers operated by the signaller or do they respond to the approach of the train?
Old 20th January 2010, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46235 View Post
Hereford and Worcester BBC Radio were reporting that the barriers were down then raised up and the train then appeared and hit the two cars.
The line is semaphore signalled at this point so are the barriers operated by the signaller or do they respond to the approach of the train?
They could be worked by the box but i would think that they are worked by the train.

It could be a number of reasons it could have even been a SPAD we shall have to wait and see.

Whatever went wrong it is very sad.

ccmmick.

Old 20th January 2010, 09:31

Oh dear - we now seem to have at least four threads going on this one incident. It really is getting quite difficult to follow. Can't we just stick to one thread per incident?
Old 20th January 2010, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflector View Post
Oh dear - we now seem to have at least four threads going on this one incident. It really is getting quite difficult to follow. Can't we just stick to one thread per incident?
Yes indeed. It would make perfect sense to add news items to threads already up & running concerning the same new items, rather than ending up with several seperate threads for the same subject matter. Yes, yes, yes please!
Old 20th January 2010, 10:58

I know it's extra work for the moderators but when a thread has already been started any additional threads generated by "RF News" on the same subject should either be combined or deleted.
Old 20th January 2010, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflector View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Yes indeed. It would make perfect sense to add news items to threads already up & running concerning the same new items, rather than ending up with several seperate threads for the same subject matter. Yes, yes, yes please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
I know it's extra work for the moderators but when a thread has already been started any additional threads generated by "RF News" on the same subject should either be combined or deleted.
Sorry about the delay in dealing with this gents, the threads are now merged.