14:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

132-year-old royal carriage restored

Old 12th October 2013, 22:04
Station Manager

132-year-old royal carriage restored

Great Western's 132-year-old royal carriage restored

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-24498481

A Victorian railway carriage once used by royalty has been restored in Cornwall.
The saloon car was built for VIPs by the Great Western Railway in Swindon in 1881

Old 16th October 2013, 18:50

You know Syd, it always gladdens my heart to see carriages restored. I think they are as important to our heritage, as our locomotives. Without this we could never travel behind our beloved engines and we need to see more.
Well done to all those who seldom get a mention when working on our coaches.
We also recently had a lovely example of the "Knotty Coach" at the Foxfield railway, it's wonderful to see them back on the rails.
Thanks for the info
All the best
Phil
Old 16th October 2013, 22:26
Station Manager

It is for that very reason that I posted the report Phil. It gladdens my hart to see these old carriages restored and run where they can. Britain is very lucky in that they started the railways and the fact that some people had the presents of mind to save some of the old rolling stock and other railway memorabilia in such large numbers. Unfortunately we have lost some of the rolling stock and other railway related things, but I do think that Britain has some of the best memorabilia in the world. The USA, NZ, Europe and Australia have also saved a lot but I'm afraid Africa has a very poor record when it comes to saving their railway heritage, non more so than Zimbabwe (old Rhodesia), who have trashed about 98% of their steam locos, all their electric locos and a lot of their diesel locos.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:12
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox Phil View Post
You know Syd, it always gladdens my heart to see carriages restored. I think they are as important to our heritage, as our locomotives. Without this we could never travel behind our beloved engines and we need to see more.
Well done to all those who seldom get a mention when working on our coaches.
We also recently had a lovely example of the "Knotty Coach" at the Foxfield railway, it's wonderful to see them back on the rails.
Thanks for the info
All the best
Phil
There is still no where near enough time, effort and money being spent on restoring carriages, so it is great to be able to celebrate such a magnificent restoration.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.