10:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

350 Desiro - is it really that bad?

Old 10th September 2012, 16:23

350 Desiro - is it really that bad?

Am I the only person who thinks that the 350 Desiros that run from Birmingham to Liverpool via Crewe are an unfairly-maligned unit? I travelled on one from Birmingham to Crewe last year and much preferred it to the 'battery-chicken' confinement of the outward journey 'Super' Voyager. The only thing 'Super' about that train was how many chickens (sorry, passengers) they managed to cram in...and some of them had the luxury of a window! The Desiro was open, airy and the seats were perfectly adequate for the journey involved. The rate of acceleration was impressive and even the intermittent clunk of the roof circuit-breaker non-irritating.Having travelled from Crewe to Glasgow on a 'Super' Voyager - cold, noisy, cramped (even in First Class....the complimentary coffee only ameliorates part of the discomfort) - it's probably a pity London Midland didn't quote for that route as well. Perhaps Virgin and its successor have something to learn from London Midland and its purchasing policy!

Old 10th September 2012, 20:33

My wife and two daughters went on the LM service from Liverpool to New Street a fortnight ago and thought them very comfortable. The eldest daughter is a regular business customer of Virgin from L'pool to London and rated the 350 class much better than the pendolino.
Old 10th September 2012, 20:49

And you don't get the 'tilt-nausea' that people such as my missus often do on the Pendo and the SV. I assume the 'alien-warble' that you hear on acceleration is something to do with the AC motors! I wish that they ran them to Preston etc but you can't have everything! (not YET, anyway! lol!)