13:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

465 up the hertford loop...?

Old 13th November 2010, 16:17

Question 465 up the hertford loop...?

on the 13th november, at about 14:00 i observed a Southeastern liveried class 465 being towed slowly north up the hertford loop at Alexandra palace by a class 66 (66728). I didn't get the number of the 465 but it didnt make any sense as the 465 wouldn't be able to run under its own power anywhere near there and it would be very expensive to get a unit towed dead in train at least that far from the southern network. does anyone have any suggestions as to why or where this train was being moved so far away from its network? i'd be keen to know.

Old 13th November 2010, 21:16

Probably on it's way to Doncaster Works for refurbishment.
Old 17th November 2010, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECML43 View Post
<SNIP>.... and it would be very expensive to get a unit towed dead in train at least that far from the southern network.</SNIP>.
Not necessarily. Companies do 'deals' all the time. If GBRf were doing a light loco move with 66728 they'd be glad to get someone else to chip in a bit of cash.

Also don't take me for a pedant, but we don't tow trains on the big railway, we haul them. This is a Rulebook definition, see here....http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book...%20Iss%202.pdf

Best wishes,

FP