01:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Train driver forgot to make stop (BBC News)

Old 16th March 2010, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramleyman View Post
All these people who find they HAVE to criticise a train driver for making one mistake, ARE THEY 100% PERFECT in what they do in life, OR their job?
Great point bramleyman!

As a member of train crew I would NEVER critizse a driver for such a thing, and this sort of thing can have many different reasons and not always the drivers fault. I don't think anyone has critized any driver in this thread, even if it has turned a little light hearted, which is exactly how the banter would be like in the mess room. I wish the press and the amazing high number of Commuters to Didcot however would listen to your point.

Old 17th March 2010, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post

I can remember an old goods guard who absolutely hated any thought of passenger work and when he was in his brakevan he always had a couple of rubber pads which in later years were used by the Pway gangs for something or other, they were not that big and used to be found laying around in goods yards or sidings. Anyway if we were stopped in a station, usually by the "bobby" to wait for a passenger train to clear before giving us the road, this old guard used open the door on his stove in the van and put one of the rubber pads on his fire, when you looked back down the train standing in the platform, the brakevan was making more black smoke than the engine,

We used to do the same down here Peter with the black rubber rings and they used to stink plus lots of black smoke i think the PW used to use them in hand points they were also used (dare i say it) to hold the deadmans down on an 08 shunter not that i ever did .
We had one cocky young lad he came into the shunters cabin waving this black ring around saying whats this with a loco inspector in the cabin, he was trying to be smart the inspector took him outside and tore him off a strip .

ccmmick.

Old 17th March 2010, 07:12
Registered Member

"Argh" memories mate, the things we all used to get up to, but everything went like clockwork and the job was done, an atmosphere which has gone with BR. I doubt the modern railway people can ever have memories like we have.