11:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

East Lancs Diesel Gala

Old 4th July 2006, 14:13

East Lancs Diesel Gala

I've now seen the information for this event (5th to 9th July). I don't actually have a copy and as of yet there is no information on the ELR website but from memory Wednesday is Sulzers and Thursday is English Electrics. On Saturday it is planned to have all available locos running, with most available locos runing on Sunday. I thinbk it'll pronanly be Hydraulics on Friday, but that is just an educated guess.

Old 4th July 2006, 22:52

I'll be there on the Sunday, so if anyone of you go and happen to see a tall, balding bloke with glasses, wearing a 'Songebob Squarepants' badge on the lapel of a denim jacket, it'll be me!

Come and say hello!

One other thing, I'm not quite as mad as my description makes me sound!
Old 5th July 2006, 12:05

Just a quick correction. Thursday, hydraulics with a Highland theme, Friday English Electrics.
Old 5th July 2006, 12:18

I've found the website which has the information on.

www.burydiesel.freeserve.co.uk/events

It's got the list of the locos that will (or at least should) be in use.
Old 5th July 2006, 23:12

Thanks for that pavo. Just had a look and the Warship and Hymek are scheduled for Sunday. Lovely! Fingers crossed.
Old 10th July 2006, 21:09

Well, I managed to get some haulage in behind the Warship, the Hymek, the Class 26 and a Brush 4.

But the weather spoilt the day, to be honest. It started to rain as we approached Leeds, and didn't really stop for the rest of the day. On top of that my camera decided to give up the ghost completely, so I don't have any pictures to look at, or post.

And a word or warning. Don't get stuck in Rawtenstall looking for somewhere to eat on a Sunday lunchtime! Only one pub does food, and that was a 15 minute walk away in the rain, so we didn't bother and had burger and chips in the cafe at Rawtenstall station instead. To be honest, try not to get stuck in Rawtenstall at all. It's like Goole, but without the excitement of the docks!

None of the above is the fault of the East Lancs of course, as ever, the staff were helpful and the variety of loco's on offer was second to none!

But no llamas!!!!

Last edited by Trev; 10th July 2006 at 21:38.
Old 10th July 2006, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
It's like Goole, but without the excitement of the docks!
There's just no answer to that
John
Old 11th July 2006, 13:21

Wink

Rawtenstall is still a better place to get stuck in than Heywood. Me and a friend ended up in Rawtenstall after an eight mile walk on Saturday and decided to get the train back as far as Rammy to save some time, and the llamas where there. My home computer isn't working at moment so I can't add the pictures but I will as soon I can.
Old 11th July 2006, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi
Rawtenstall is still a better place to get stuck in than Heywood.
The pub just up the road from the station at Heywood isn't too bad, but on our first visit a couple of years ago we walked into Heywood and found a pub which served food. The food was okay but we had to endure a few comments from some of the regulars about 'trainspotting', which was a bit offputting to say the least.

Been looking on the web for pubs in the Irwell valley and the best that I've found so far is the 'Railway Hotel' in Ramsbottom, which can be seen from the train. I mentioned this particular pub to my mate as we were on the train in Ramsbottom station but he was adamant that we would have a better choice in Rawtenstall. Next time, I'm making the decision. Off the train at Rammy and into the 'Railway'.
Old 12th July 2006, 21:50

Sunday - 56 003

I was there on Sunday, it absolutely threw it down with rain, but still a pretty good day. The 56 was out of action for most of Sunday so I didn;t get to ride behind it. It turned up later on, as I was heading home. Ho hum. I'll put some photos up in the gallery.

Agreed, Rawtenstall and Heywood are not places to try & find lunch. I would agree the Railway in Ramsbottom is more suitable.