07:14

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

help with coaches

Old 10th January 2012, 11:34

help with coaches

i have just started to take a closer look at coaches has to model them and have found that i really have any idear about them at all other then a train pulls them

i have four quistions which come to mind which i hope some of you will be abile help me with

1st what is a top light coache?

i have just got the illustrated history of LNWR coaches and have looked at them and on the net they all seem to have vents over the door are the vets lights?

and the 2nd 3rd and 4th quistion are what the diffacens between arc roof ?an elliptical roof cove roof

and sorry 5th any one know why a group of coaches is called a rake ?

Old 10th January 2012, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by farren View Post
i have just started to take a closer look at coaches has to model them and have found that i really have any idear about them at all other then a train pulls them

i have four quistions which come to mind which i hope some of you will be abile help me with

1st what is a top light coache?

i have just got the illustrated history of LNWR coaches and have looked at them and on the net they all seem to have vents over the door are the vets lights?

and the 2nd 3rd and 4th quistion are what the diffacens between arc roof ?an elliptical roof cove roof

and sorry 5th any one know why a group of coaches is called a rake ?
Top light coaches
and question 2

same answer they are small top lights (windows) see http://www.gmnabooks.co.uk/tcg/

The 3 & 4 questions are just design terms where the roof line is either an arc or an ellipse when the coach was designed

Question five

Quote:
Origin:
early 20th century (originally Scots and northern English): from Old Norse rák 'stripe, streak', from an alteration of rek- 'to drive'. The word was in earlier use in the senses 'path, groove' and 'vein of ore'

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643

Last edited by Madcaravanner; 10th January 2012 at 17:45.