21:35

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Devonian 22nd Oct 2011 - Tiverton

Old 21st October 2011, 12:05

Devonian 22nd Oct 2011 - Tiverton

Would like to get some stationary photos of the engines and on the timetable it shows a stop being made between 1123am and 1203am to take on water at Tiverton DL.
Having no idea what DL means and thinking it might have been Tiverton Parkway Station I spoke to the operating company but they say no and that the stop is at a place called Tiverton Leet.
Never having heard of Tiverton Leet can anyone identify the location for me please and whether it is accesible to the public?
Many Thanks Indeed.
Peter4447

Old 21st October 2011, 12:33

Tiverton DL could be down loop, seems it's 6 mins after Tiverton Parkway.

This tit bit might help.

Tiverton Junction
A station, known as "Tiverton Road" was opened with the railway to Exeter on 1 May 1844, although it was actually located at Willand which was the nearest that the railway came to Tiverton. It was renamed "Tiverton Junction" on 12 June 1848 when Tiverton railway station, at the end of a branch from the Junction station, opened. A second branch, the Culm Valley Light Railway, opened on 29 May 1876.
The station was widened to four tracks in 1932; two new platforms being built facing the new loop lines but the centre tracks were only used for non-stopping trains. Goods traffic was withdrawn on 8 May 1967, the Tiverton branch closed on 5 June 1967. The Culm Valley line had closed to passengers on 7 September 1963, although the line remained in use for goods trains until 31 October 1975.
The Junction station continued to be served by a couple of trains each day for about twenty years but was then closed on 11 May 1986[5] to be replaced by the better sited Tiverton Parkway. The location is now known as "Tiverton Loops" and platforms can still be seen alongside the now extended loops; engineers use the remaining sidings on the down side.

Seems it was at Willand, try Google maps ariel view.

Last edited by pre65; 21st October 2011 at 12:52.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:36

Tiverton DL? Tiverton Down Loop. Possibly those sidings visible on google earth at Tiverton Junction?

Hope this helps.

Regards, 62440.
Old 21st October 2011, 14:11

Many thanks Gents for your replies.

Looking at Google earth it certainly appears the DL is in the area of the old Tiverton Junction station. Unfortunately the Google pictures also seem to show that some of the more accessible areas now have factories etc built on them so that access could well be restricted.

Rather than take a chance, I will stay in the Newton Abbot/Totnes area tomorrow and then make a visit to the Tiverton site to see if it is suitable for mainlne photographic use.

Once again thank you for your kind assistance.
Peter4447
Old 22nd October 2011, 19:46

I have taken photographs just south of Tiverton Junction, if you wish to see one I posted on 30th May 2010, look in my gallery and you will find it on page 11 of the gallery.
It was taken from an overbridge accessed from the back road to the north of the line.

Davat
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:26

Very many thanks for that Davat - a great photo.
To be honest I am one of those characters who has replaced underlining numbers in my Ian Allan books as I did in my boyhood days with photographing individual engines today. As a result I was hoping that Tiverton DL would have provided a suitable spot where I could have photographed both engines as they stopped to take on water.
I eventually ended up at Totnes today which was fine but as the 'Devonian' comes through the station at 60mph, whilst you can get some good piccy's of the train itself there is no chance of getting close up shots of both engines!
Kind regards
Peter