19:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Why can't we have an "Oyster Card" equivalent for all UK railway routes

Old 15th July 2007, 17:50

Why can't we have an "Oyster Card" equivalent for all UK railway routes

Let me say first of all that I do not condone avoidance of paying fares. There will always be a few people that try it on and they deserve no sympathy as they are freeloaders sponging off the rest of us.

However, recent developments on clamping down on people who get on trains without a ticket so they don't miss their train are out of order. Most people who get on trains without tickets do so because of the inefficiency of the ticket offices and lack of automatic ticket vending machines. And even where there are machines, they do not seem to offer all the possible fares - for some reason it seems to be the cheap ones that are not available.

In London you can buy an Oyster Card and preload it with cash. You then swipe it when you enter a station, and again when you leave at your destination. The computer system then debits the cheapest journey cost against your card balance. Net result is fewer queues and fair prices.

So my question is why can't we have the same type of system for the UK railway network instead the current antiquated one we have now? Would it not be in everyone's interest or is this just a deliberate rip-off?

Regards,

Brian

Old 15th July 2007, 18:14

Talking

Because that would mean that rail companies wouldnt be able to milk the passenger to line their shareholders pockets.
Old 15th July 2007, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjidog View Post
..........................In London you can buy an Oyster Card and preload it with cash. You then swipe it when you enter a station, and again when you leave at your destination. The computer system then debits the cheapest journey cost against your card balance. Net result is fewer queues and fair prices.
So my question is why can't we have the same type of system for the UK railway network instead the current antiquated one we have now? Would it not be in everyone's interest or is this just a deliberate rip-off?......................
Sounds like a great idea to me.
It would be interesting to hear what each Train Operating Company had to say about it.
Old 16th July 2007, 15:43

The wise comments in #1 are only equalled by the sound logic of #2

Well done gentlemen.