00:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello - from Milton keynes

Old 23rd October 2011, 17:02

Hello - from Milton keynes

Just registered to be honest as i am interested in finding out more about an old "guards van" I have in my garden as a shed... it has the remains of LMS on the side, and a small "LONDON" on the bottom left hand corner.

Now my Grandad who had it delivered a LONG while ago - circa 1940 used to work for the railway, and it was common place for gardens here in Wolverton to be festooned by old carriages.

I just wonder if there is someone out there that might if I sent them a picture be able to "shed" - excuse the pun - some more light on it. I dont think it was a guards van as google images does not show anything like what I have...

HAVING SAID THAT - the is a wind down window at the rear on both sides and there was a plate in the roof where I can only assume a wood burner stove would of exited. I can send pics to anyone that can help - they should paint a better picture... I just want to know what it was, what it would of looked like before it was a shed, as I am thinking of getting a local artist to decorate it up for me as some kind of tribute...I think its pretty cool to have one of these in your gardens and I think its worth making it a feature - as apposed to what my granddad did was desperately make it look less railway like!

Old 24th October 2011, 18:02

Hi Steve, there must be hundreds of ex-railway vehicles still in gardens or yards, your SHED sounds interesting. I'm no expert but i don't think you have a guards van there because of the adjustable window and short wheelbase, you may have an ex-horse box (maybe), as for the name on the side could it read--- London Midland Scottish, i look forward to your findings.
Old 24th October 2011, 18:06

Apologies for LMS Steve, you already mentioned that.