23:04

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Manchester Airport Spur Siding

Old 27th May 2007, 20:09

Manchester Airport Spur Siding

Hello,
Im new and not sure which Forum to place this in.

I recently travelled to Mcr Airport Station by rail,and just prior to entering the station bearing off on the left was a single line siding.
The whole branch is in a cutting,as is this siding,also on google-earth it quite long too.

Anybody any ideas what its for pls.....???

thanks

rog

Old 27th May 2007, 20:42

Welcome to the forum Rog.
The branch that you refer to is shown on maps and trackplan diagrams as leading to a disused Tarmac stone terminal. The diagram that I have shows it as single track leading to 2 sidings and a runround track but they might have been lifted when the line closed.
Apparently the line was originally opened by Railtrack and Manchester Airport plc in December 1997 for conveyance of stone from Peak Forest for use in the construction of the airport's Second Runway.
Hope this helps.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:25

Fantastic.
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I was around for the building of runway 2,but hadnt realised they trained it in.
I had hoped I had stumbled across something more interesting though.....
Thanks again
rog
Old 28th May 2007, 23:20
Station Manager

Rog
Your statement "I had hoped I had stumbled across something more interesting though....." is quite correct as you were not the only one who did not know that it was used to assist in the building of the new runway. I have also learned something new. I have always found that people on this site never run you down if you show a lack of knowledge, they always help us out. This site's for the new railway enthusiast as well as those with a large knowledge on the subjects of railways.
Are you a railway man or like a lot of us, just an enthusiast? What part of the railways are you interested in? Modeling, signaling, steam or modern.
Syd
Old 1st June 2007, 22:41

hello there.
no, im not a railway man,just a somebody who is returning to the scene having sorted out my career/life/family etc........
its all very different now.
My interest is in disused lines and stations,i have no idea why.
also ahve just obtained a pre built n guage layout for the shed.the old boy who did the real work has recently passed on.
oh yes...i did clean locos at dinting many years ago...

regs

rog