16:51

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

David Taylor

Old 6th July 2012, 17:02

Smile David Taylor

Hi all,
I apologise if any of you think that I may be something of a fraud, but I'm trying to use my initiative to gain some important information. I'm a budding writer with a need to tap your knowledge. I also have a great love for steam trains having once travelled on the footplate of a steam engine from the now defunct Bexhill West to Crowhurst and back over a wonderful viaduct - a train service we at school called the "Sidley Rattle." (circa 1952).
I am writing a romantic spy thriller (based on fact) of the "Riddle of the Sands" kind and have a spy travelling by rail from London to as far north as possible to get to the Orkeys. The year is 1913 and I do not possess a Bradshaw. My challenge to you is to get my spy from London presumably to Thurso or Wick. I want him to leave London, Euston (presumably), on Sunday afternoon (25th May 1913). Would the railway company - Great Eastern(?) have had a sleeper service in those days. Ideally, in keeping with the rest of the story, I want as many facts as possible. So I want the real leaving time(s) - reduced choice I would think for a Sunday service - or if it makes life easier he could travel on the Monday - best at lunchtime, and his arrival time and where he might have to change. His destination is Scapa Flow so I can make up the ferry service to suit.
I do hope someone can help. All I can offer is a mention in the without-the-following-I-couldn't-have done-it section - if I can get it published, and my sincere thanks and appreciation for your patience and time.
Any kind volunteers who accept the above challenge can reply by email to: [email protected]