17:24

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Railways facing Easter shutdown (BBC News)

Old 19th March 2007, 15:35

Railways facing Easter shutdown (BBC News)

Rail passengers in the South are facing massive disruption this Easter as major engineering work is carried out.

More from BBC News...

Old 21st March 2007, 13:48

As usual close the railways when people want to travel...then charge more for the pleasure!
Old 21st March 2007, 15:23

There appears to have been a lot of engineering works around this time. Few servives up north too are subject to disruption for the next few weeks.
Old 21st March 2007, 16:51
Station Manager

As a railway man i must put my five pence in,you say that as usual when people want to travel yes there will be some replacement buses,but then when are the railway ment to do this important work,i am sure that if the work was not done on that weekend and say you train had to travel at a slower speed than normal that would be wrong as well,so you are getting some better services in the long run.
All the best,Ian.
Old 21st March 2007, 19:33

When there is an accident on the railway due to things not having been done there is a public outcry and calls for heads to roll. When there is work being done to prevent accidents and causes disruption of services there is again a public outcry and calls for yet more heads to roll because of cancellations. I would therefore ask a simple question. When does essential or routine work get to be done? After some years of having to do various maintanence tasks outside in all weathers there are many that could not be done under artificial lighting and it follows that within the rail industry the situation must be the same so again. When does the work get done?
John
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:06

Just on the subject of engineering works there appears tp be some happening at the weekends in the summer in Manchester affecting the WCML. Anyone know what this is about?
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:52

Exclamation

generally people would prefer there train to be diverted as opposed to replacement transport, i dont know the area in question but could some trains not be diverted? i dont know if there's a possible alternative. However in my area even a replacement rail service would be nice when things go tits up.