01:20

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Birth of a layout.

Old 30th January 2007, 22:27

Well I dont usualy read every reply to threads but I got so interested in this one that I did just that, brings back memories of when I first started my N Gauge layout March 2006 also on a door.

It has now grown to 10ft x 2ft9ins, no regrets starting off on a door, I can relate to many things written on this thread, one I used Peco code 80 track, two I decided not to model anyplace in particular, the name of the layout has been changed three times mainly because as the railway has evolved previous names didnt suit, now settled on "Redland Valley Railway" final choice.

Although this is my fifth model railway it is my first attempt at building scenery, previous layouts just had a few buildings on them and I concentrated on the running of trains, I must say that the pleasure of building scenery has to be one of the most rewarding experiences I have had with any type of modelling.

I am far from experienced in layout building but thanks to the internet and books I have fumbled my way through, I know in my heart that I am not an arty type person and have resided to the fact that I will not be able to create the super detail seen on some layouts, that to me is not a problem, as someone said its your layout and you can do what you like with it.

I recently moved the layout into an insulated back yard shed, purpose built to house my layout, best thing I ever did certainly put a smile on the Wifes face.

Looking forward to reading about further developments on your layout certainly made for good reading.

Regards
David.

Old 30th January 2007, 23:19

David,
To move out into a purpose built 'shed' is luxury indeed, I had to move out into the garden.
John
Old 1st February 2007, 23:41

The underlay arrived yesterday and today I bought some trackpins to see how secure the track would be without glue. It works!!!! And no drilling needed. I glued some polystyrene tiles to the baseboard some time back, hoping that they would act like foam underlay (they don't...serves me right for being a cheapskate!) and the pins go very nicely into it. Maybe a dab of PVA here and there if I think it's needed, but the layout is a semi permanent fixture anyway. If it ever is moved (house move etc), then I'll probably take the track off, but for the time being the track should be secure enough.

So, fingers crossed, I'm hoping to finally lay all of the trackwork this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierail
Looking forward to reading about further developments on your layout certainly made for good reading.
Pleased you enjoyed it David.
Old 2nd February 2007, 21:57
Station Manager

Trev,
You will have to put the bathroom door back on it's hinges if you ever want to sell the house. People like a door when having a bath, one without a load of N gauge track all over it. Glad to hear you are able to make a start on you layout, you have had to put it on hold for long enough. Post a photo of the track or a drawing of the plans. (yes I know it will change a number of times before you are happy with it )
Good luck mate
Syd
Old 2nd February 2007, 23:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
Trev,
You will have to put the bathroom door back on it's hinges if you ever want to sell the house. People like a door when having a bath, one without a load of N gauge track all over it.
C'mon now Syd...I'm not that bad. No, the door in question used to be the door to the kids bedroom. It fell off around three years ago so I put a sliding door in. That fell off around six months later, so the girls took matters into their own hands and rigged a curtain up. They're happy about it, so it'll do for me! Of course, it doesn't stop them taking the mickey and asking "Dad, can we have our bedroom door back, y'know, the one that you're sticking railway track to?" Bloody kids.

Can't post a photo at the moment, as I don't have a camera at present, but I will provide a full description of the trackplan as soon as it is finalised.
Old 6th February 2007, 23:24

My eyes are burning!!!!

Trying to see the tiny little holes in the track against the foam ballast is killing my eyesight! But I'm getting there, slowly. So far I've done the sidings and the passing loop. I've got the loco shed and the main line to do and I'm then done. Just hope it all works right! I haven't pushed the pins right in, I've left a tiny amount proud of the sleeper, hopefully this will let the track float slightly. I hope!!!
Old 18th February 2007, 22:14

Trev,
How's the tracklaying coming along or have you been too busy?
I've been doing some ballasting over the weekend. Fiddly job but I think it's worth it in the long run. Must remember to flick the points before the PVA glues them up.
Old 18th February 2007, 23:07

Slowly but surely John. Dunno if it's me, but my sleepers do not like to sit in the slots on the underlay!! I'm not even going to attempt to do amy further ballasting, the foam will do for me.

My eyes are slowly getting used to seeing the holes for the pins.
Old 19th February 2007, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
.............Dunno if it's me, but my sleepers do not like to sit in the slots on the underlay!! .............
I don't think it's you Trev. It's a long time since I last used Peco underlay but I seem to remember it was sometimes a bit tricky to bed the sleepers into the foam. You can't beat a bit of careful jiggling.
Old 19th February 2007, 23:15

I did another couple of sidings tonight.

I'm wondering what to do about the gap in the foam underlay between adjacent tracks as I don't want to mess about with ballast on the tracks themselves. Is it possible to get some scatter which gets anywhere near the colour of the track underlay?