12:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Performance of Type 5 Loco`s ?

Old 21st September 2010, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey spotter View Post
Thanks Guys for posting on this. No one got it 100% right and if I had to guess prior to the tests I would have got it wrong.
The result was ---- ( Drumroll !!! lol )
1st -- Class 58
2nd -- Class59/2
3rd -- Class56
4th -- Class60
5th -- Class66

I personally fully expected the Class59/2 to be the fastest at the point where the speed/timing readings were taken.
I don`t really think it proves anything as so many variables exist, such as the variance within type of the 56/58 regarding performance. The G.M Locos are pretty much a fairly standard performer across the Class`s as is the 60.
If the Rail head conditions had been wet instead of dry the I`m pretty sure the 58 would have finished last with the 56 not much ahead of it and the 59/2 1st and either 60/66 2nd.
Regards & Thanks
Kris
The main criteria would be the gearing chosen for each loco,I would have expected the class 60 to be lower geared than the 66.

Old 21st September 2010, 13:45

Thanks Saltley Seagull.
The 60 I would think is probably lower geared ( although I am no expert in gear ratios) and with a max speed of 60mph versus the 66 with 75mph that would suggest you are right.
The 60 is a real strong work horse type with a wonderful plodder style of acceleration but once up there just keeps going at a nice rate of knots.
Its one failing is perhaps its reliability record.
Regards
Kris
Old 21st September 2010, 18:58

{/QUOTE}
The 60 is a real strong work horse type with a wonderful plodder style of acceleration but once up there just keeps going at a nice rate of knots.
Its one failing is perhaps its reliability record.
Regards
Kris[/QUOTE]

Reliability is down to two things age of these locos plus bad maintenance,most of the fleet should have had an "F" exam years ago !
Old 21st September 2010, 19:40

I actually love the Class 60 but even from "New" they have not been able to compete with the General Motors Loco`s in terms of Reliability.
I remember from coming out of the "works" the Loco`s engines leaked oil.
The Electrical system was overly complex.
Governors having problems due to heat from the Engine
Exploding Turbo Chargers !
Compared to the Class 60`s direct competitor the Class 59 with its Basic Technology on reliability and performance has always had an advantage.
As you state Maintainance is a very large Factor in the equation of reliability / availability and knowing the "Regimes" of Mendip & National Power the reliability figures are no real suprise.
Regards
Kris
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:50

the 59 class being a very small fleet on dedicated traffic flows makes it easier to maintain and plan maintenance than a fleet of 100 class 60 loco's dispersed allover the BR system on varied types of traffic and the need to keep them in traffic for as long as possible each day.As regards overheating of "Governors" this was caused primarily by the inner doors between the engine and "clean air compartment" having the habit of being "sucked" open whilst working the loco hard.Although I know liitle about class 59s but drove class 60s from their introduction through to my retirement as a Driver at Saltley,I can only say that they were a superb loco to work with and until the last couple of years that I worked on them I had very little trouble in the way of failures.
Old 29th September 2010, 03:19

Smile

my guess........

Old 29th September 2010, 03:20

Are there any 59"s still on workings anywere??