23:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Load haul....

Old 22nd August 2010, 16:49

In my view EWS and the Canadian trapper was the worst thing that could have taken place for any company.
Total destruction from day one, carrying out genocide of certain groups of workers.
This company made going to work terrible, using bully boy tactics to scare employees, Human resources that were the same.
If anyone says EWS are leaner and fitter for the job, they have been on holiday to LALA land for too long.

Old 23rd August 2010, 05:41
Registered Member

Yes mate, I have heard talk from current railway people that I know.

Old 23rd August 2010, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
Right then Peter. In the lead up to privatisation the "Sectors" of the BR freight side were divvied up into three outfits each with it's own locos and stock. Load Haul in black and orange livery, Transrail in two tone grey with a big white T on a blue background, and Mainline Freight in a "Aircraft Blue" livery with name and details in silver. A lot of money was spent on repainting locos etc, the idea being to flog off each outfit as a going concern "To the highest bidder". Hah! Along comes whoever it was and buys up the whole shootin' match and forms EWS with it.

That's the basics of it, someone with a better memory of the facts will probably cross the t's and dot the i's.

Regards, 62440.
Hey wait a minute you have forgotten the "other" Freight TOC ! namely Railfreight Distribution (RfD) which was the last of the BR sectors to survive under the British Rail banner,they were the company chosen to work the Channel Tunnel traffic,Freightliner and Car carrying trains along with all the MOD traffic,from1994 till 1998 when Freightliner "Broke " away,then they had the misfortune to be "given" to EWS and formed EWS International(the for runner of Euro Cargo) in 1998.
In 1994 they had 72 class 47 locomotive,the only 47's fitted for multiple working, all maintained (above"B" exams) at Tinsley.Rfd traincrew depots were at Saltley(where I worked from 1963 to 2006),Dollands Moor,Wembley,Crewe and Ipswich and Mossend.

Last edited by 21Aman; 23rd August 2010 at 13:37.
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:23

You are obviously the "Someone with a better memory of the facts", 21Aman! Thanks for that.

Regards, 62440.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
EWS was the name given to the UK division of Wisconsin Rail, an American outfit. Ed Burkhardt was an employee of Wisconsin Rail, sent over as boss of EWS. He appeared to be doing a great job until he was ousted by internal politics in the USA.

Hello, first post on here.

It was Wisconsin Central RR that was the parent Co to EWS
Old 25th August 2010, 23:20

Load Haul happened one Monday morning when a new area manager rolled upto Healey Mills with a load of new management faces. The person who was i/c Load Haul was an ex signal man, who got a medal for moving coal in Coalville during the miners strike. This man smoked a pipe and stunk the place out.
At this time we got a new traincrew manager, he seemed a nice man .
He saw a senior driver tending a flower bed outside the HM messroom at 1300hrs one day. He was the afternoon shed man.
This manager asked the driver what he was doing and what turn he was on. The driver told him he was afternoon shedman. The driver thought nothing of this, the manager seemed a nice man.
The next day the afternoon shed turn was cancelled.
This set the tone of things to come.
I went to various meetings with Load Haul Management regarding thier bid for the full freight franchise.
These meetings were held at the Danum Hotel in Donny.
Off Course Load Haul lost thier bid, and we were lumbered with EWS.
Under Burkhart things were fine, we got bonuses at the end of the year.
At this time DRI was coming in for Drivers, this was about 1997 ish.
Soon after that we got a Canadian CEO. This man caused massive loss of traffic sheds and yards were closed .
Guard/ trainmen were included in DRI, and we all got a nice motorola brick mobile phone, which to me was a novelty. With this phone you could call any company mobile, send SMS and contact all the internal BR number nationwide, all for nowt.
As a trainman my wage went from £8500 with overtime to £16500 without overtime, and annualised hours. This was good as at the end of the year I owed them around 150 hours. If you were not required to work, you were booked off with pay.
Then in 2000 all the groundstaff were restructured and my wage went up again, but we lost the annualised hours but kept our mobile phones.
One Director of EWS told us that Freightliner would not be a problem to EWS, and that Great Central would not take off. On that I rest my case.
EWS gave away jobs to all and sundry.
Then the Canadian came with his macho management style and then things hit the dust along with the morale of all the company.

Last edited by HM181; 25th August 2010 at 23:24.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:11

The Mainline livery was a very tastefull shade of blue with white lettering,37,s looked good in it.Transrail was horrible I reckon they lost the Dulux paint card when they dreamed it up
Old 27th August 2010, 09:54

The reason "Transrail" locos looked such a mess was they were never painted they were already in BR Railfreight sector livery,"two tone grey" and all they did was replace the commodity logo"Coal.petroleum,etc.with a new "sticker" a "square" with a large "T" motif,also if I recall the lettering on "Mainline" locos was silver not white.

Last edited by 21Aman; 27th August 2010 at 10:11.
Old 11th October 2010, 02:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM181 View Post
Load Haul happened one Monday morning when a new area manager rolled upto Healey Mills with a load of new management faces. The person who was i/c Load Haul was an ex signal man, who got a medal for moving coal in Coalville during the miners strike. This man smoked a pipe and stunk the place out.
At this time we got a new traincrew manager, he seemed a nice man .
He saw a senior driver tending a flower bed outside the HM messroom at 1300hrs one day. He was the afternoon shed man.
This manager asked the driver what he was doing and what turn he was on. The driver told him he was afternoon shedman. The driver thought nothing of this, the manager seemed a nice man.
The next day the afternoon shed turn was cancelled.
This set the tone of things to come.
I went to various meetings with Load Haul Management regarding thier bid for the full freight franchise.
These meetings were held at the Danum Hotel in Donny.
Off Course Load Haul lost thier bid, and we were lumbered with EWS.
Under Burkhart things were fine, we got bonuses at the end of the year.
At this time DRI was coming in for Drivers, this was about 1997 ish.
Soon after that we got a Canadian CEO. This man caused massive loss of traffic sheds and yards were closed .
Guard/ trainmen were included in DRI, and we all got a nice motorola brick mobile phone, which to me was a novelty. With this phone you could call any company mobile, send SMS and contact all the internal BR number nationwide, all for nowt.
As a trainman my wage went from £8500 with overtime to £16500 without overtime, and annualised hours. This was good as at the end of the year I owed them around 150 hours. If you were not required to work, you were booked off with pay.
Then in 2000 all the groundstaff were restructured and my wage went up again, but we lost the annualised hours but kept our mobile phones.
One Director of EWS told us that Freightliner would not be a problem to EWS, and that Great Central would not take off. On that I rest my case.
EWS gave away jobs to all and sundry.
Then the Canadian came with his macho management style and then things hit the dust along with the morale of all the company.
very interesting stuff!! had nice read,cheers.....
Old 11th October 2010, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Aman View Post
The reason "Transrail" locos looked such a mess was they were never painted they were already in BR Railfreight sector livery,"two tone grey" and all they did was replace the commodity logo"Coal.petroleum,etc.with a new "sticker" a "square" with a large "T" motif,also if I recall the lettering on "Mainline" locos was silver not white.
Is there stil any transrail loco in use on the network any where??