02:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Four soldiers ordered off train (BBC News)

Old 14th January 2010, 02:27

As a Guard I wish to say something, hopefully without meaning any offence

Rail Warrants are only valid between the the two points stated on the warrant therefore the only ticket which can be issuied is the journey stated or the full fare paid. Now personally in this case I would call our Retail Control for permission to accept the warrants or advise them to go to the ticket office at their destination station. To call for the Guard to be sacked without hearing both sides of the story is a bit harsh. I also disagree with EMT publically stating that they have instructed staff to use discretion as this could cause staff more problems as many people think us using discretion is to allow everything and anything to go.

Am I a bad guard for asking a lad (with no proof he was HMF) to leave my train because he had a HMF Railcard ticket but no railcard and who refused to pay the appropiate fare as stated in publicity, conditions of carriage and Ticket Examiners handbook became he became very threatning and abusive leaving me concerned of my own safety?

At the end of the day the EMT guard made a decision which maybe was the wrong one but the matter will be sorted out internally. We also do not know the full story, just the press version and EMT's reaction to a complaint/bad publicity.

Our Lads in the Army do a bloody good job in Afghanistan and they have my respect for dedicating themselves for our nation.

Our Collegues on the railway do a bloody good job, and we have some very difficult decisions to make. If a mistake or bad decision is made there are ways and means of complaints, disputes etc etc can be sorted out .

Old 14th January 2010, 02:28

Sorry about the poor grammar and spelling mistakes, but ive just done a late shift and i'm half asleep!
Old 14th January 2010, 08:01

"Am I a bad guard for asking a lad (with no proof he was HMF)"
Anon Mouse, Serving members of the Armed Forces and MOD Civil Servants are required to carry their ID card at all times and to produce it when required by the necessary authority, in this case, I would suggest that the Railway Guard is a necessary authority. I don't want to go off thread so won't say any more except that, as someone with Media Operations experience, the media like to make a drama out of anything that catches the public eye!
Old 14th January 2010, 09:52

Maybe it is a bit harsh that the person involved should get the sack without a full hearing in the matter but there are some guards/conductors that are jobsworth (LITTLE HITLERS) out there so called train managers.
You can get around the matter without putting them off the train.

I was going to Newton Abbot just after Christmas the train was 20 mins late and it was full and standing first class was empty i stood up in the first class vestibule where it was quite with two other young lads the guard was under pressure and very offensive he ordered them out and told me to sit in first class just because i had a priv i didnt just because of his attitude.
You use your discretion.

ccmmick.

Old 14th January 2010, 10:38

Both "Anon Mouse" and "Toddington Ted" have raised some very valid points.
We are very good at condemning the accuracy of media reporting on this forum so how come we have now chosen to believe every word they say?
Old 14th January 2010, 11:05

This is taken from the same story as reported by the "Telegraph"

" The train driver even offered to have the men travel at the front of the train with him. No one on the train could understand why the ticket inspector was being so inflexible.”

Are we supposed to believe that?
Old 14th January 2010, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
This is taken from the same story as reported by the "Telegraph"

" The train driver even offered to have the men travel at the front of the train with him. No one on the train could understand why the ticket inspector was being so inflexible.”

Are we supposed to believe that?
Hmmm I can't see that happening either either!
Old 15th January 2010, 18:39

My son is a serving soldier and I think this stinks!