21:39

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Northern give every conductor a watch

Old 17th November 2007, 01:48
Registered Member

I think British Standard Time started with the coming of railways. Before that uk only used local time. Time had to be standardised for train timetables to make sense.

Old 17th November 2007, 12:19

Yeh i know what you mean Ithats probaly on of the reasons for Ticket Gates !
Old 17th November 2007, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesG View Post
BUT, if the public won't get on the train before the customary kissy kissy hug hug then the conductor can't close the doors.
That reminds me...I once stopped at Haywards Heath and a despatcher came running up to me. He was laughing and told me that I had driven away from a previous station with a family's luggage, but not the family !

Apparently they had loaded all their stuff onto the train, then walked away from the train to do the kissy-kissy thing with their friends.

When I'd checked the CCTV monitors they were clear, as they only show 6 feet to the side of the train, so I'd shut the doors and departed.

I'm pleased to say that the outcome was a happy one in the end, as we unloaded the bags off my train at HH, and once the family was reunited with their stuff they got the faster service to Victoria which overtook me.
Old 17th November 2007, 21:22

I accept that the actions (or inactions) of the public can affect timekeeping but in my area delays can often be attributed to the work methods adopted by the railways themselves.
I have asked this question before and didn't really get an answer so here goes:
Why can't drivers release the doors when the train has stopped instead of waiting for the conductor?
I have lost count of the number of times that I have had to wait, often for several minutes while the conductor returns to the rear cab to release the doors. I can appreciate that special monitoring equipment is required before a driver can safely close the doors but surely he/she could be allowed to open them.
Old 18th November 2007, 04:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
I have lost count of the number of times that I have had to wait, often for several minutes while the conductor returns to the rear cab to release the doors. I can appreciate that special monitoring equipment is required before a driver can safely close the doors but surely he/she could be allowed to open them.
You haven't specified which stock you're talking about, so obviously I can only talk in general terms, as each case of traction and company operating procedure may be different. Under normal conditions there's no reason why the driver can't give a door release so long as he is certain that the whole train is on the platform. If it isn't then he/she can sometimes put up SDO (selective door opening).

Unfortunately some of the latest stock (eg 375 & 377s) has GPS to tell the train where it is, and since it knows how long every platform on the network is the computer won't allow the driver to release any doors if they are over the track.

The trouble with this is that if the GPS doesn't have a current 'fix' then the driver has to inititiate an override, and this takes several minutes. GPS was originally designed to be used out in the open (such as at sea and in deserts) and isn't really suited to the railway where cuttings, tunnels and steel structures block the very short wavelength signals.

I'm always disappointed that on these occasions where passengers are waiting several minutes for the doors to be released there NEVER seems to be any PA announcement from either the guard or the driver to let us know what is happening. It's very unprofessional IMHO as it is just asking for someone to pull an Egress handle, which would make the traincrews job more difficult and delay the train even further.
Old 18th November 2007, 10:16

Thanks for that, John. I should have realised that there wouldn't be a simple answer to any question involving the railways.
The trains I have most experience of are the Class 175 DMU's of Arriva Trains Wales. I don't think there are any technical complications because the conductor is able to release the doors as soon as they reach the rear cab......the delays are caused by him/her actually getting there Meanwhile the driver sits there patiently, trying not to make eye contact with the frustrated passengers waiting to board his/her train.

Quote:
I'm always disappointed that on these occasions where passengers are waiting several minutes for the doors to be released there NEVER seems to be any PA announcement from either the guard or the driver to let us know what is happening. It's very unprofessional IMHO as it is just asking for someone to pull an Egress handle, which would make the traincrews job more difficult and delay the train even further.
Good point. I have never heard such an announcement in my area. Fortunately (for Arriva) passengers have got used to these delays and don't think there is anything unusual.
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:10

hmmm

I thoght the 175's would have had Door controls for the gaurd from some of the passenger doors like on 158's , Mersyrail 507/8's and Arriva Trains Wales 150's and i think the 170's have these controls as well.

Would make sense if the MAnufratures added these as Standard but if you Look in the cab of say a 142 unit you can see were the Door Buttons have been taken away.