03:26

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Architecture student seeking help on the subject of “trainspotting”.

Old 4th May 2013, 08:56

Hello,

My name is Tom and I am an architecture student planning to do a small project on trainspotters in London. I understand that not everyone on this forum is a trainspotter but I hope that you can offer me some advice on the subject.

I am planning to convert selected derelict structures along the rail lines of London for the purpose of spotting trains. Located typically in-between stations, these structures will serve trainspotters in much the same way as huts for bird watchers. The sites I have selected run along the following lines:

Great Western Main line (including Heathrow Connect/Express)
West Coast Main Line
North London Line
Midland Main line
Brighton Main Line (including Tattenham Corner Line)
Stoke Newington and Edmonton Railway
Stansted Express
Hounslow Loop Line
Distrect Line (near Putney bridge and Kew bridge)
Central Line (near Hainault)
Piccadilly Line (near Cockfosters)

From an enthusiast’s perspective, are any of these lines more desirable to watch than others, and do people spot London Underground trains?
If you were to have a spotting hut, what would you want?

I also have some more generic questions:

Am I correct in thinking that the documentation is the most important ritual when trainspotting. If so, what is the most popular medium?
What duration of time will people spot trains for?
What are the main organizations/clubs in the London area?

If any of these could be answered, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks, Tom

Old 4th May 2013, 11:23

Hello Tom and welcome to the Forum. There are many very knowledgeable members on this Forum and you are sure get plenty of helpful information from them. All of the lines you mention will have train movements which are of interest to enthusiasts and, yes, that includes London Underground lines.

The only question I would raise is exactly what "derelict structures" you have in mind for your project. Please never let anyone trespass on the railway and bear in mind your own safety as well as that of all users of the railway at all times. Good luck.
Old 4th May 2013, 15:51

Hey Ianrail,

Thanks for the welcome!

The "derelict structures" that I am considering are Pillboxes. They were constructed during the Second World War and several remain intact. These are scatted across London and I have identified 14 that over look the rail system - Hence the specific list of rail lines.

Here is an example of one of the structures: http://www.skydive.ru/uploads/posts/...7_bridg-55.jpg

Don't worry, I am not planning on trespassing. Still wise to mention it to a newbie though.
Old 5th May 2013, 20:15

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum. I hope you get your answers. I am no longer a train spotter, I am more into photography of all things steam; however I imagine your idea could be useful for current spotters. Are these boxes owned by anyone or network rail? If so how would you propose to fund the project? Just curious and look forward to your project.
Have fun
All the best
Phil
Old 5th May 2013, 21:19

Hi Tom

First I'm not a Londoner
Second I do spot and for your help I record All stock numbers that's loco's, coaches, wagons, on track plant, departmental basically if it's on the track it's recorded

SO
I need to be able to get within a least 15 feet of the trackside to see the wagon numbers.
I personally require wheelchair access and visibility

AND I think you will find very few enthusiasts wanting to pay especially as most stations do not charge us to be there so you would have to have a pretty spectacular view, as most of us are photographers or videographers as well

HTH

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 9th May 2013, 23:30

Hey guys.

Thanks for the input so far. It is very helpful.

Could someone be kind enough to explain to me what the difference is between someone who spots and someone who documents rail stock? Is the act of spotting trying to find the same vehicle again, or perhaps spotting all the stock, while the act of documentation is for when an individual find something striking to look at?

All the pillboxes that I have selected are situated on the edge of network rail property and therefore could be adapted to allow access from public walkways. Although it is hard to believe from the standard of architecture in this country, inclusive design is taught in architecture school.

The idea for these “huts” grew out of the issue that in London the majority of the stations are now ticketed, thus limiting the ability to view trains in the area. As this is student project, it is hypothetical so finical constraints are not the greatest issue in the design process. However, I imagine that network rail and possibly local clubs through club memberships would maintain these properties.
Old 10th May 2013, 15:07

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomos View Post
Hey guys.

Thanks for the input so far. It is very helpful.

Could someone be kind enough to explain to me what the difference is between someone who spots and someone who documents rail stock? Is the act of spotting trying to find the same vehicle again, or perhaps spotting all the stock, while the act of documentation is for when an individual find something striking to look at?
OK
Spotting is an old-fashioned word now-a-days people would call themselves enthusiasts. but there are different levels
there are those who only follow Heritage rail
there are those who only watch for locomotives
there are those who only watch for multiple units
there are those who only watch passenger trains
there are those who only watch freight trains
there are those who only watch On Track Plant and Departmentals
then there are the true geeks of the enthusiasts who watch for everything.

The main idea is to observe the stock once but sometimes there are some stock you will see the whole class within a year so you can do a year list it's entirely your choice

Documentation
there are numerous books on offer all costing quite a lot of money and these will be up-dated at least twice a year
Some people build themselves computer databases and cross reference their photographs to the records as that can be used to confirm date and place from exif information.

There are also some enthusiasts who are so dedicated that they will travel to a distant part of the UK just to see one wagon
Now unfortunately for you most of the areas that you are proposing will be 90% passenger working if not higher, so you can see immediately that will cut down potential clientele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomos View Post
All the pillboxes that I have selected are situated on the edge of network rail property and therefore could be adapted to allow access from public walkways.

However, I imagine that network rail and possibly local clubs through club memberships would maintain these properties.
Network Rail (syn. Notwork Rail) not a chance of them maintaining anything like this whilst they do not openly dislike enthusiasts it is felt that sometimes we get in the way (despite the fact we spend an awful lot of money on travel) British Transport Police use use as extra eyes and ears and are grateful when an enthusiast gives them the chance of catching criminals on the railway, but they would not provide policing as these pillboxes whilst close to the rails are not on Railway property or if they are you would not be allowed to get access to them

OK there's a lot of negatives there
The Idea of somewhere where we can go that is safe and legal near to the tracks is a brilliant idea. but unfortunately these are very few and far between because it's keeping them SAFE and LEGAL is where the problem will lie and that will cost money
Then after all that Network Rail WILL install their bloobin' security fencing and ruin the view

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643