16:17

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Outeniqua Choo Tjoe

Old 10th May 2012, 12:40

Outeniqua Choo Tjoe

Up until 5 years ago we had a steam railway, the Outeniqua Choo Tjoe, in our area known as the Garden Route, in the Southern Cape of South Africa and the railway ran scheduled trains pulled by steam locomotives along the coastline between the towns of Knysna and George, a distance of 70 kilometres. The railway ran across a long bridge over the Knysna Lagoon and then snaked its way West through the town of Sedgefield and then on to Wilderness before crossing a bridge over the Kaaimans River. A spectacular view of the bridge and a steam train with the sea at the back. Many photographs of this outstanding vista are in Steam Train books World wide.

Unfortunately, 5 years ago, we had severe flooding and sections of the line were damaged by slippage and wash away and the company, Transnet, that ran the system said that they are not going to repair the track or run the operation again. Since that date there has been many moves to get the railway back on track as it was such an attraction for tourists to the area as well as providing many employment opportunities. A group called "Friends of the Choo Tjoe" are running a petition locally to get as many names as possible to try and get Transnet to allow private enterprise to take over the system and repair the track and to operate the railway.

I have started a petition on line and I hope that some people who care about the Steam Heritage will take a moment to sign the petition.

The web site is http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/219/347/942/

I shall be posting pictures of the railway as it was shortly on this site.

Many thanks Roger.

Old 10th May 2012, 16:28
Station Manager

Hi Roger,

Will we be able to sign "electronically." I'm sure there are quite a few of us on this Forum who would do so.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 10th May 2012, 22:05
Station Manager

I have signed the petition today.
Old 10th May 2012, 22:33
Station Manager

Have now signed it.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.