17:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Lifting CWR Track on the Down Line ay Royston Stn.

Old 13th November 2010, 21:14

Lifting CWR Track on the Down Line ay Royston Stn.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/df6973106471601

The 3 pics show a recovery train picking up CWR on the Down line at Royston Station, South Yorkshire.
I was the guard on this train and signed on at 0700hrs to 1425hrs, Wednesday 21/12/94.
The train went from HM to Wakefield, then up Oakenshaw Bank onto the up Midland Main Line through Royston, Cudworth to Grimethorpe Pit to RR the train.
We then picked the Per Way lads up at Royston to work the winches.
On one of the pics you can see a distant signal. This is for Royston Junction, about a mile up the track.
You can see on the right hand side Monkton Coke Works.
This railway was brand new and eventually was closed at Wath Road junction, at Mexboro.
I have worked West Country HST's in both directions to Sheffield on this line.
This line is now single and goes as far as Monk Bretton Glass works, where we deliver 28 trucks full of sand on Tue,Wed, Fri.
There is a RR Cudworth which is 5/8ths of a mile long.
Sometimes passenger charters come down to the RR and reverse back to Wakefield.
Please excuse the quality of the pics, they were kept in my damp garage for a couple of years,after all it was 16 years ago.

Last edited by HM181; 13th November 2010 at 21:19.
Old 14th November 2010, 17:01

I think that was the rail that was then relaid on the Rylstone branch near Skipton.
What there was left of it.
The gang in the shot came under Leeds office.
Wakefield gang under Roy Lilley.

I say what there was left of it because on one occaision they left site and returned next day to find 1/2 a mile of rail had gone overnight. I think it was one of the first times quad bikes had been reported as being used to clear the scrap.

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 14th November 2010, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM181 View Post
http://www.imagebam.com/image/df6973106471601

The 3 pics show a recovery train picking up CWR on the Down line at Royston Station, South Yorkshire.
I was the guard on this train and signed on at 0700hrs to 1425hrs, Wednesday 21/12/94.
The train went from HM to Wakefield, then up Oakenshaw Bank onto the up Midland Main Line through Royston, Cudworth to Grimethorpe Pit to RR the train.
We then picked the Per Way lads up at Royston to work the winches.
On one of the pics you can see a distant signal. This is for Royston Junction, about a mile up the track.
You can see on the right hand side Monkton Coke Works.
This railway was brand new and eventually was closed at Wath Road junction, at Mexboro.
I have worked West Country HST's in both directions to Sheffield on this line.
This line is now single and goes as far as Monk Bretton Glass works, where we deliver 28 trucks full of sand on Tue,Wed, Fri.
There is a RR Cudworth which is 5/8ths of a mile long.
Sometimes passenger charters come down to the RR and reverse back to Wakefield.
Please excuse the quality of the pics, they were kept in my damp garage for a couple of years,after all it was 16 years ago.
i live near line at royston and only 1 charter has ever run about 5 years ago linewas used for testing voyagers by bomberdier
Old 14th November 2010, 20:28

http://www.imagebam.com/image/3d809e106619603

This is a link to see the recovery train moving towards Royston Jct.
The coke works is shown in more detail.
Behind the coke works is Royston Drift Mine.
This pit was a record breaker for production of coal. This coal was sent out by bunker loading MGR's to the Aire Valley Power Stations by KY Traincrews.
Coke came out of Monkton to the ICI Works at Norwhich. HM men moved the coke to Guide Bridge where Warrington crews took it to Northwhich.
Normal load was 28 HTV's with a BV in the rear.

I was the guard on a charter from Wakefield Kirkgate onto the Midland and down to the RR at Cuderth.
This had 2 Fragonset Class 31s on.
As metioned HM GS deal with the sand trains into Redfearns glass works for many years.
These were Worksop Drivers, who brought the sand from Donny.
This railway is bandit country with quad bikes , motor bikes, shot gunners, tresspassers, crossbowers on the track.
About 4 years ago a young lad was killed on the Bridge at Royston station as 28 trucks ran over him.
I went to the scene the next day on behalf of the RMT, and I left in tears at this tradgedy, and my heart went out to this young lads family and friends.

Last edited by HM181; 14th November 2010 at 21:38.