20:04

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

New fences to prevent rail crime (BBC News)

Old 29th August 2008, 02:50

It's a sad reflection isn't it?.....and Paul M. You're absolutely right about the seriousness of the situation here in Britain...

Why do we have such idiots in our midst, ..and they're allowed to get away with it as well!
Like Swiss trains and others I've travelled Europe and seen railtracks of all types, local and main, totally devoid of fencing.......with a footpath of all things running alongside! Yet the local kids don't seem inclined to conspire to attempt mass murder like ours do , "just for a laugh"......."innit"

As a Nation, it's time for us to wake up, pay the price and do the right thing. 90% of our crime and vandalism is committed by kids, bringing misery to millions. It must cost the Nation an absolute fortune. Yet the Police, the Government, Mp's, councillors et al, can't be bothered to sort them out.

try smacking one of the little dears though.......and the world will fall around your ears.

Old 29th August 2008, 06:25

Yes! Yes! Yes!
The Political Correct brigade have a lot to answer for!
Old 29th August 2008, 10:09

Cool

They will probadly nick the fencing as well for scrap when they go after the copper cabling
Old 29th August 2008, 10:20
SouthernSteam

Wholeheartedly agree with what's been said and especially Swisstrains. I often watch the Swiss Railway Journeys on the Travel Channel and always remark to my wife 1, how clean everything is, 2, how well behaved people seem ot be, and 3, the complete lack of overt 'safety' measures and the utter lack of fencing everywhere.

This country has always been petty minded and stupid and I speak as an Englishman. The mass of the people are dumber than oxen in their daily lives and at times I am embarrassed to live here and call myself English.

I am sure lots of countries including Switzerland have just as many problems and socila ills as we do, but they seem to deal with them far better. There also seems to be in the rest of the world the normal reasoning to let life get on with itself, i,.e. if you stand on a live rail you get killed. It is obvious and normal, there is no need for fences, training, hi-vis, Police, etc. Natural selection will quickly weed out those who cannot comprehend such danger.

Sadly though, we stand in the way of such selection and they breed more imbeciles and so the stupidity cycle goes down. God help us!
Old 29th August 2008, 12:42

I was under the impression that in Britain fencing around a railway line has always been a nessecity, right back to the earliest days.
Old 29th August 2008, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi View Post
I was under the impression that in Britain fencing around a railway line has always been a nessecity, right back to the earliest days.
I used to sit on a fence to do my train spotting in the 1950's, but it was'nt something that resembled the fence around a maximum security prison.
I believe that as someone said earlier in this thread, that it was a much to keep animals out as well as reminding people that they could be at danger if they went on the track. Who remembers the cast iron trespass notices, was it fourty shillings the fine they threatened you with?
The real reason we have these problems now is that we have gone soft as a nation, and we have a judiciary who are soft in the head.
Paul.