View Single Post
Old 6th December 2010, 16:11

Well it's always a shame, but I still think that the Moorland and City Waterhouses link should be reinstated. Cauldon Lowe is a tiny place, and Waterhouses has more substance to it.
I don't really see what the NIMBY's have a problem with, but then again, I'm an enthusiast, so berhaps I'm biased there. The welsh Highland also met stiff opposition too, although the trackbed was relatively untoutched.
I agree that the Manifold are is not as popular, but the point of these railways is to bring extra visitors in. The welsh highland cannor really be called either a preserved railway or a heritage railway, but instead a tourist railway. They might not agree with that down at Harbour station however.
When moorland and city start oporating a full service in the area visitor numbers will probably grow substantially. The Lynton and Barnstaple is an example that shares a lot with the L&M. It was sold off in many lots, and parts are now small roads and farmland and paths. They doo however have a good mile of services running and are gradually getting there, with replica locos and track extensions.
To start with they had a surviving station, Woody Bay.

The L&M also has a surviving station, its terminus Hulme end, where there is also the loco shed and signal box. A bid of demo track here would at least make a good museum out of what is left.