View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:17

Leek and Manifold.

The leek and Manifold can be compared to the Welsh highland railway on a number of points;
Spectacular scenery
Unique locos and stock
was linked to standard gauge line.

On more unique points;
It carried standard gauge waggons
It was big four owned during it's later years
It was the subject of a failed revival project.

Thing is, at the time of the heritage proposal in the 1970s the local vote was 98% supportive, but congestion would have become an even bigger local problem. what has changed since then? A lot. Moorland and city railways have reopened the Cauldon lowe line, which has a lifted spur to Waterhouses, where the Leek and Manifold began. The spur is only very short and would give passengers a destination away from the freight terminal. With a rail link on the doorstep, there would seem very little from stopping the narrow gauge line from reopening. Ok, it would cost a huge amount of money, but the trackbed is unobstructed, and the path could be relocated to the side. Who would pay for it?

I must make it clear that Moorland and city railways is not a heritage railway and its primary reason for being is heavey freight, which is a big source of income. The Churnet valley railway is shorter, but a southern extension will take it to Alton towers, so need I say more?

this little line could Flourish in the same styal as the Welsh Highland, and would join the elite group of big four narrow gauge lines.
Others being Lynton and Barnstaple, Corris railway, Vale of Rheidol railway, Welshpool and Llanfair railway etc.

Slightly off topic, but the Churnet valley and Moorland and city railways share some directors and so are very close, and also physically linked. It is my belief that a great deal more success could be had by properly joining the two into one company that would be aptly named.

NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE RAILWAY

The money is there and waiting, so why not just one more attraction?