View Single Post
Old 10th February 2022, 00:12

Reverse banking, hmmm.
The Aurizon crew attempted that in 2020 on Ardglen Bank here in NSW.
Our ATSB released the prang report,
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications...r/ro-2020-008/
What a mess.
Amusing to read how PATHETIC the 50 class spring parker brake is.
Relying on the loco independent brake, which was accidentally released when cutting out the brake valves.
Capitalism.
I am not a fan of EMD things, but at least our 81 class have a decent spring parker brake.
The things would NOT budge when it was applied regardless of the independent.
Back in the good ole days before spring parkers, the hand brake wheel type and ratchet type only applied to one axle, two if it was a hood unit.
To change ends on dual cab units, the hand brake was applied at that end first.
The fireman then went back to apply the rear end hand brake before the driver cutout the brake valves.
After the driver had cut in the opposite end brake valves, then the fireman could go and release the hand brake on the original end.
Multiple units, the fireman would go to the opposite end and cut in the brake valves before the driver cut out the original end.
Spring parkers being train lined on modern locos apply on all units.
BUT, when being pathetic in design obviously won't hold the locos stationary on a steep grade.
There was a famous intersection in suburban Brissy.
FIVE WAYS at Wooloongabba on the south side.
Trams, trolley omnibusses and the railway line all going through that intersection.
Well before the electrification of the Brissy suburban rail system, but junk hanging in the atmosphere for the trams and trolley omnibusses.
There was an elevated signal box controlling all of the traffic.
I never got to squiz it as we lived on the north side.
I would imagine that the Londoners breathed a sigh of relief when soot belchers were vanquished.
The incidence of TB dropped drastically according to medical history.
Steve.