Thread: Diesel "clag" ?
View Single Post
Old 1st January 2022, 16:39

Hi Steve, thanks for that - very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
A supercharger is mechanically driven, while a turbo is exhaust gas driven.
Well there you go, I didn't know that. Everyday's a school day, especially when you've spent your railway career on 'squeaky clean but oh so dull' EMUs.

I remember being told by some 'East Coast Racing Hero' drivers that the EE Class 55 (Deltics) were absolute swine to Ease Up with. You'd open up gently - nothing. Give it another notch - nothing. Give it another notch - nothing. Then BOOM all the horses came out at once. Still they had good buffers in those days, and you can promise the passengers in First Class that the red wine will come out of their best suit if they put some salt on it quickly enough.

I have the BR Driver's Manual for the 37 that a colleague gave me when he was cleaning out his locker. It's fascinating stuff, that 1950s technology. Nothing that can't be brought back to life with a cheery swing of a club hammer.

Anyway I hope ya having a decent New Year and the plague hasn't got ya. I copped the Omicron thing recently, about a fortnight after I'd had the latest booster. It was not too bad, but I'm glad I'd been jabbed. Bleeding typical though. I went out sociably for the first time in at least six months and I bagged the bogie prize. Still that's one more for my library of antibodies I guess.

Keep safe...John