Thread: Diesel "clag" ?
View Single Post
Old 30th December 2021, 07:37

G'day BW,
I have managed to grab a very low res version of the video clip to view at home.
Me el cheapo www runs outa puff shortly and I still have a little data credit loitering.
I am not going any where near the local library due to our plague infections skyrocketing.
Viewing the clip, I am unable to determine if any gradient exists facing the train.
My ONLY exposure to EEs be the ones that I drove down in Van Diemens Land.
Them EEs performing a traction amps cycling when powering at or near maximum.
I am not sure why, but may be due to the type of load regulator employed.
And may also be a facet of Short Time Ratings.
It could also be a facet of the donk governor employed.
Our 44 class mark one beasties had the GE governor.
And, those units had a slightly irregular idling sound.
Whereas the Woodward Governor used on all others had an even idling sound.
EMD, Alco, Cat weasels plus buzzboxes that I worked do not cycle traction amps.
Though, our 86 class could reduce demand after exceeding the max amps for a period.
Short Time Ratings are utilized on DC traction weasels.
The maximum working traction amps may be exceeded for a short period or minutes.
If the loco is worked beyond that period, the traction motors can cook.
Most four strokers can suffer from Turbo Lag.
There are two types of donk boosting, turbo and supercharger.
A supercharger is mechanically driven, while a turbo is exhaust gas driven.
Generally, the exhaust driven versions can suffer from turbo lag, and belch out plumes of black exhaust.
A white grey exhaust is evidence of a COLD donk, burning oil, which can occur until the donk achieves operating temperature.
Seals within the donk will become tight again when working temp is achieved.
Turbo lag can occur when an idling donk is revved to produce traction oomph after a long period of idling.
Grabbing a fist full of notches suddenly causing a lag in the fuel burning and turbo operation.
This can also occur if the loco is notched up and down repetitively within a short period.
A sick donk can also produce black exhaust due to incorrect fuel consumption when unused fuel is expelled through the turbo.
Exhaust flames occur when the fuel burning mix is too rich and again excess fuel is blown out like a Back Fire.
The fuel igniting due to the different temp between the donk and atmosphere.
A four stroker turbo unit burning rich under full load can light the nite sky up with exhaust sparks.
SO, either yer class 37 hogger is manually notching up and down to maintain a certain road speed.
Slightly stupid, as he could simply run at a set notch that will haul the train regardless of speed.
OR, the class 37 is sick and requires maintenance
Either way, any repetitive increase and decrease in donk revs can result in turbo lag, and incorrect fuel consumption.
Notching up one at a time allowing the donk revs and traction amps to settle reduces the turbo lag event.
Plus also provides a constant pull on the couplers and reduces slack action.
Then, when needing to reduce speed, notch back one at a time.
BUT come on, what fun is there in that.
RIP and TEAR and get em to belch out plumes of black smoke.
Honorary soot belchers.
Steve.