View Single Post
Old 4th April 2010, 12:20

Many years ago while riding an Amtrak passenger train from New York to Spartanburg, South Carolina, I watched an encounter between the trains conductor and a tickletless passenger. At that time there was a technique for dealing with such miscreants and ne'er-do-wells. It was called the "bums rush". As I recall,the fellow was ejected from the train at a small town called Culpepper in the state of Virginia into the waiting arms of the local police. A second after his posterior hit the concrete platform, his suitcase landed several feet away, bursting open from the impact.

It is still a funny memory and I laugh every time I think of it. Sadly, I doubt the bums rush is still used as we now live in a much kinder and gentler world.

For those younger members of the forum who may not be familiar with this useful means of getting rid of an unpleasant person, please read below.

bum's rush

–noun Slang.
forcible and swift ejection from a place: When they began to cause a disturbance, they were given the bum's rush.
any rude or abrupt dismissal: He gave the pesky salesman the bum's rush.

Theodore Roosevelt ...

Last edited by Bridgewater; 4th April 2010 at 12:23.