Thread: Unstoppable
View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2018, 08:37

Unstoppable

G'day,
The wheels fell off down in Tassie on friday morning.
An initial ATSB R0-2018-014 report indicates that the Tasrail Railton Cement train was derailed intentionally in Devonport yard.
The brief report infers that the train was being loaded, and departed accidentally.
If so, then the cement train ran unattended for 22 kms north from Railton to Devonport yard.
The route is generally down hill with a short rising 1 in 60 grade on approach to Devonport.
A number of level crossings exist along the route.
The Railton cement train is Driver Only remote control operation.
The driver performs the loading at Railton and unloading at Devonport, utilizing the remote control belt pack system.
The brief report does not indicate what locomotive was being utilized.
A dedicated DQ class G22C unit 2011 worked this service for many years, but the recent TR class PR22L units have also worked this train.
The DV 1 modified Y class shell being utilized at the southern end of the train for the driver to ride in that direction.
But, DV1 has recently been retired from service and replaced with the shell of a modified DQ class.
Part of the DOO regulations for this service require the driver to perform a Vigilance radio test with Train Control.
The belt pack being able to initiate an emergency alarm and also emergency brake application if necessary.
The brief report indicates that the driver notified Train Control when the train departed WITHOUT him.
Points into a dead-end were operated in Devonport yard to intentionally derail the train.
Two persons were injured during the derailment.
I will definitely be awaiting more detail about this incident from the ATSB.
During my three year period of exile working for PNT in Tassie, the Railton cement train was a contentious issue with the union.
The DOO shift for that job being a whopping 12 hour shift.
The Devonport drivers being on a different Enterprise Agreement to the rest of the PNT drivers.
The railton cement train operating in numerous shuttles back and forth during the 24 hour period.
I am not sure just what EA conditions the current Tasrail operation of this service would be.
If the driver was unable to control the movement of the train, this infers that the remote radio system had failed.
I will eagerly await the publication of the final report, which should make for entertaining reading.
UNSTOPPABLE indeed.
Don't get me started on that Hollywood flick.
Steve.