View Single Post
Old 14th November 2021, 07:57

G'day Spydarman,
I have not been to Japan, but it was a country on my To Do List, IF I won the lottery.
The language would be a bit daunting, but I believe that many Japanese also speak English.
The Shinkansen would be an impressive experience.
I did go fast when in Europe, Le TGV doing 300 kph and the DB ICE hitting 250 kph.
By comparison our fast train, The Rocket (XPT) only hits 160 kph, but not all that often.
I remember the PANIC at Transport House in smog hollow prior to the Sydney Olympics.
Fears that the smog hollow transport system would not cope.
I was one of three drivers seconded to Transport House to review the proposed safe working alterations.
So, I decided to go to the USA while the olympics was on.
Numerous almost empty silver birds flapping up yonder after depositing spectators down-under.
I returned home to discover that the system had coped fairly well.
Though freight trains were stuck in sidings for hours to avoid conflict with commuter trains.
Nonessential freight being curtailed.
And only permitted to traverse the metrop region during a very brief period overnite.
Crews being provided with tucker (food) so that they did not attempt to abandon ship.
As mentioned, the stupid driverless metro now percolating in smog hollow has platform barricade doors.
I know of a number of occasions when the thing has overshot a platform and needed to be set back.
Max speed being 90 kph, the thing shudders constantly as it powers and brakes alternatively.
The platform barricades being necessary to prevent cattle tumbling onto the track.
Nobody up the front, other than cattle, to espy somebody on the tracks, and hurl out the anchors.
So, stopping the thing in an emergency situation would be a delayed reaction.
I do wonder if the JR etc have suffered any platform overshoots since the barricades were installed.
Aligning the carriage doors with the barricade doors requiring some stopping prowess in wet weather.
We have an emu dubbed the Tangarbage (Tangara) and it is renown for not stopping in wet weather.
We naturally wore gloves to protect our hands when performing manual chores.
But NOT while swinging the banjo on a soot belcher, it was TRADITION to shovel bare handed.
Had our gloves been white, they would not have remained white for very long, with all of the oil, grease and rust.
The only hand salutation encountered here from railway employees is not complimentary.
Witnessing a Japanese soot belcher driver preparing his museum loco in a video clip did amuse me.
A wonder that his white gloved hand didn't fall off.
He saluting every object and facet of the prep as he walked around the 2-8-2.
But, yes, such salutations assisting in memory of performing of all necessary tasks.
I was also amused that in rural areas many level crossing booms were thin bamboo or wooden poles.
The Japanese obviously have more respect for road / rail safety that do other countries.
Though, yes, accidents can still occur anywhere when people get impatient or distracted.
My concern with that tragic collision on the Keikyu line being that management quickly accused the train driver.
He supposedly ignoring the three level crossing warning indications as he approached at full speed.
From the diagrams displayed, I would doubt that sufficient time at such speed to react was possible.
And, one indicator was positioned on the platform where it could become occluded from view.
Interlocking such indications with main running signals would create delays due to the plethora of crossings.
But, at least would result in less potential confusion for train crews.
I am a believer in standardization where possible.
From memory there are at least THREE different obstruction indication types to be found on different lines.
I forget now which type was involved on the Keikyu line.
And from some video clips, a driver can be confronted with a parade of such indicators en route.
Nothing is perfect, and never will be.
When I get the opportunity, I will take a gander at your other video clip.
As mentioned my home www is very limited.
I will be sneaking back to the local library (freebie www) at some stage.
But probably not until our plague infections reduce a tad more.
I am naturally double jabbed, but don't want to risk becoming a close contact and hurled into quarantine.
Steve.