View Single Post
Old 13th November 2021, 14:20

Smile

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to watch the video! I appreciate it a lot!
I'm glad that you can appreciate the the intricacies of the Japanese railway system!

As for the platform barricade doors, when I arrived in Tokyo 10 years ago, I didn't see them anywhere at all. They have been slowly and systematically been added to stations on many train lines (not just the Yamanote Line, and not just JR lines). I feel that when the Tokyo 2020 Olympics were announced, and as they got closer, there was more of a push to get these barricade doors functioning at most stations. Although there are still a few stations without a barricade, I would say a majority of stations have them in place, especially if it is a major station within Tokyo.

As for delays, it did seem that way as I rode on the train that day.
An interesting note is that on the following weekend, a large section of the Yamanote Line track was shut down for about 52 hours in order to widen a platform in Shibuya station (heavy construction renovations are happening in the area, as you might have noticed in the video).

I'm amazed at all of the insights you have regarding the system. I would never have noticed those things at all. You're extremely knowledgeable!

I am equally intrigued by the white gloves and hand salutes. I thought it strange at first, but over the years it is comforting to see them take their job very professionally.

If I can aid you in your research, please let me know of any other train line videos that you'd like to see. I'm hoping to ride the Yamanote Line again, but on the outer track this time. Since you mentioned the Keikyu Line, I could try to record that at some point as well. (I used to live on the Keikyu Line in Kawasaki.)

There are still many areas of the city with train tracks running on to streets and pedestrian areas with barriers coming down, which are usually accident-free. Although there was a recent incident where one lady got trapped between the barriers while being distracted looking at her phone, thinking she was on the outside of the barriers, unfortunately got hit and died.

As for traveling to other areas of Japan, I've made many trips to almost every section of the country. It's always nice to get away from Tokyo every now and then. For far away cities like Kyoto and Osaka, I always ride on the Shinkansen, but local trains to other rural areas are always charming to me.

Thanks again for the support, Steve!
Please let me know if there is anything more I can help out with, in terms of your research!

P.S. If you'd like to see another "train" video I posted (automated guideway transit) traveling through the downtown Bay area of Tokyo, called the Yurikamome Line, please take a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgTwlQSzMM

Regards,