View Single Post
Old 10th November 2021, 10:31

G'day Spydarman,
I have finally gotten around to viewing your Yamanote line video footage.
I normally download You Tube video clips while at the local library to view at home.
But, since the plague, going to the library has either not been possible or desirable.
My home www is very limited.
But, as it runs out of puff tomorrow, and I have some unused balance for this month, I decided to view your video.
I was born in narrow gauge territory down-under, suburban Brisbane in Queensland.
And, often rode behind soot belchers dragging wooden carriage suburban trains as a child.
I became interested in viewing Japanese railway video a while ago, primarily for the signal and safe working system.
I am now intrigued to know just how much of the JR commuter network has platform barricade doors.
I don't recall espying much of that existing in the video footage previously snavelled some years ago.
The stupid driverless Metro in smog hollow Sydney features platform barricade doors.
The heavy rail network in smog hollow only features the yellow line painted on platforms.
Your Yamanote line ride did seem to suffer some delays.
I noticed the driver jotting down details when held at various stations.
The glass partition drivers cab of most Japanese trains does afford shooting cab ride video.
While there is not a great deal of info available about Japanese signals, I did manage to scrounge some specifics.
I was especially interested in the Repeater type signals which are similar to Pennsy Position Light type.
Though, utilized differently.
The location of line side signals on the multi-track JR network does seem occasionally strange.
Some even plonked on the sides of buildings outside the rail corridor.
I constumble being to provide for distance visibility when approaching on curved track.
The white gloves and hand salutes for safe working aknowledgement also an intriguing facet of the JR etc.
I am still awaiting the JTSB publication for the 2019 level crossing prang report on the Keikyu line, Yokohama.
I delve into various global rail prang reports in an attempt to gain more understanding of the safe working etc.
The Japanese level crossing protection system becoming of interest to me prior to that prang.
There are not all that many level crossings on the smog hollow suburban network.
Though, one notorious one near Fairfield has had a 40 kph TSR (temporary speed restriction) on in for yonks.
Motorists will queue across the level crossing at an intersection and get trapped when the booms drop.
The JR laser detection system would be a handy implementation for that level crossing.
Though here, such a system would need to be incorporated into the running signals, to put main sticks back to stop.
Not as with the JR practice of being separate to the main running sticks.
How far into the rural regions of Japan have you travelled by train ?
Steve.