Thread: "Tram-train"
View Single Post
Old 20th November 2006, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks
Metrolink is another example of this, between Altrincham and Navigation road the metrolink shares the track with the railway services, I think it is the only time that train services are on a track where they are under metrolink wires. Metrolink seem to have their own track after Manchester Victoria.
David,
The Metrolink and Network Rail tracks are separate between Navigation Road and Altrincham.
To the north of Navigation Road station the Metrolink line from Manchester City Centre changes from double to single track. The Network Rail line from Manchester (via Stockport) does the same and the two single track lines then pass through Navigation Road station. Metrolink use one platform and Network Rail the other. After the station both lines become double track again and run parallel to each other as far as Altrincham where the Metrolink terminates and the Network Rail line continues to Northwich etc.
I would post a scan of the actual track layout diagram but I have just read that it is illegal without permission.