View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:32
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHEASTERN-465 View Post
i know but i just have a thing for the unrebuilts!
I think many of us do! Tangmere is my wife's favourite loco from the moment she saw it at The East Lancs Gala in January 2004. (Her 2nd favourite is Stepney). Went on one of the nearly last trips on the Folkstone Harbour Branch with Tangmere in April last year.

The main reason the Bullieds were rebuilt was that they cost an arm and a leg to maintain! Even given the criminally short lives of some after rebuilding, the last one was rebuilt, I think, in 1960, the cost of rebuilding was recouped!

For more information on the rebuilding see "Ron Jarvis - From Midland Compound to the HST" by J.E.Chacksfield, pub. Oakwood Press. Jarvis was in charge of the design work for the rebuilds. He was later involved in the design of the HST! There is a chapter on rebuilding the Bullieds including the costings.

My first memory of the Southern was traveling down to Newhaven to catch the Ferry to Dieppe. Remember the EMUs which did not impress! Can't remember what pulled the boat train.

Also remember going down to Crowhurst and seeing Q1s.

In 1966 went to Collage in Brighton so travelled on the EMUs from London and on the coast line to Lewes. Remeber seeing the Brighton Belle at Brighton.

Best wishes,

John H-T.