View Single Post
Old 18th April 2020, 12:53

Closed goods yard

Hi everyone.
Just joined today.
I've been interested in railways since I was a lad - my younger grandson has inherited my interest - he's 12 - and I've just given him my 1960 edition of Ian Allen's combined volume ( cost £2 of my holiday money when I was 9 ) with all the numbers I "collected" carefully underlined.
My first question is somewhat obscure - I live in Blackburn, Lancashire and out on the Whalley New Road, next to Thorncraft's Motorcycle Repair Shop, on the opposite side of Clarendon Road, is a small area of land, all fenced off, choc-a-bloc with old vehicles and a caravan. It is right next to the Blackburn to Clitheroe line. Many years ago I was told this used to be " Skew Bridge Goods Yard".
Judging by the size, it was probably just for coal. I've seen similar layouts in other places and they were indeed just for coal.
But - I can find no mention of this yard anywhere and even though I've asked various locals over the years, no-one can tell me if this was actually a goods yard and I cannot find any reference to it anywhere.
Can anyone help here ?
Any info gratefully received.