View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2021, 07:34

G'day,
The track diagram plus photos of this incident kinda gives the game away.
HMMMM.
Mention of the GSMR radio emergency broadcast system reminds me of the Bad Aibling prang in Bavaria.
Two emergency frequencies being utilized by the DB system.
Der Fahrdienstleiter reputedly hitting the wrong frequency button for that area.
Sadly, we will never know what the German train crews were aware of as both were killed in the incident.
By contrast our recent prang on the South Coast at Kembla Grange below Wollongong might look bad.
The front car of a four car Tangarbage emu gone bush and laying on it's side.
But, being a predawn service, thankfully only four injuries sustained.
It boggles the brain that any IDIOT would leave a vehicle parked on a level crossing.
Engaged in break and enter plus theft, the culprit who fled the scene has been subsequently apprehended.
One wonders, had the emu been of a different variety, would it have survived the prang any better.
Our Tangarbages having a lighter weight driving trailer each end of the pair of central motor cars.
I am guessing that our ATSB mob will await the outcome of the criminal trial before publishing a prang report.
I have not ridden a train in the past 17 months, and have no intention of doing so in the near future.
Forced to wear a mask for the four hour trek to smog hollow, definitely not an enticing prospect.
But, I have always avoided the front car, when possible.
It was occasionally scary enough when being paid to sit up the front.
Steve.