View Single Post
Old 1st November 2021, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Earlier today I wrote a reply about how it was odd that GSMR didn't prevent a collision, like it was designed to do. But I didn't post it because I didn't want to slur the driver.

However it's now been mentioned by BTP...

A somewhat inaccurate description. It's much better than that.

The GSMR radios that are fitted in cabs have a Big Red emergency button. If this is pressed, all trains in the same signalling area receive an Emergency Stop Message. This causes an alarm tone to sound and written message to appear on the screen of the GSMR radio. If anyone receives this, they must immediately stop their train as quickly as possible (ie, wack the Emergency Brake on their train).

It worth noting that this is a radio system. Whilst signal cabling and equipment boxes are located close to the the running lines, making them vulnerable to physical damage - GSMR masts are located some distance from the track.

The big question is....why didn't the first driver whack the Big Red Button?

They may not have been able to, of course.

And as ever, we'll find out in the fullness of time.

Cheers, John
I don't have your knowledge & experience John, but I thought that if the original report was accurate and the derailed first train had damaged the signalling equipment, that this would automatically set all surrounding signals to red.
However, different reports now suggest some slightly different circumstances - namely that the first reports stated that the GWR (first) train had derailed after hitting an object on the track but initial investigations have not found any evidence of that. Also, the initial reports stated that there was around 7 minutes between the derailment of the first train and the second (SWR) train running into the back of the first, but it now seems that the gap might have been much shorter than that - possibly not giving the first driver time to press the emergency button before the collision.
I feel particularly sorry for the SWR driver who has reportedly suffered life changing injuries.

Tony

Last edited by TRP; 1st November 2021 at 18:56.