View Single Post
Old 17th November 2005, 03:21

Hopefully, common sense will prevail and companies will use train enthusiasts as they should, i.e as an extra pair of eyes and people that know when something is amiss.

At present, most countries are still happy with enthusiast activities though there are exceptions. This list is from personal experience:

UK: Largely OK but some bigger stations there are still some problems with photographs. Best to let duty manager know your intentions.

France: Paris station security staff can be zealous but I have had no problems with a camera on trips to France. Be discrete.

Spain: Private security staff at stations can get very shirty and there are many stations that carry out security checks to access platforms with Valid tickets. Write to RENFE in Madrid for a photo permit. (sorry, don't have current address)

Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, Czech and Slovak republics, Denmark: The friendly counties where enthusiast activity is very open and tolerated.

Italy, Hungary: Some hassles but mostly trouble free for enthusiasts. Like France be a little bit discrete about it!

Poland: I have not had problems but know some people have with security staff. Again same as France and Italy.

Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia: No problems in Slovenia and Croatia who are used to foreign enthusiasts. Be careful near border areas as relations in this part of the world still fraught. Serbia a bit touchy especially at Beograd, again, be discrete.

Last edited by juliannobleuk; 17th November 2005 at 03:27.