Thread: nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 31st August 2007, 23:20

thanks for the welcome.
I have a wonderful relationship with my two sons, one is 37 and one 35, they don't have a problem listening to me regale tales, many of which would involve trainspotting, other would be about my time in the Merchant Navy.

I was never one of those that went to the sheds, we knew people that went to Sheffield, Crewe and other .......far flung places, when you only get 1 bus an hour everywhere tends to be........'far flung', those that weren't should have been, grief, it was a 'grimy' country in those days.

Like the day I was spotting with George and Bruce, it was getting on, the night had drawn in, we were all starving, when you'd eaten your sandwiches in those days you didn't have money for sweets, crisps weren't heard of, that was it until you got home.
We had been considering going home, George and I decided to wait for a train we knew was due, Bruce couldn't wait, hunger had really gotten hold of him, so off he went.
George and I went down to where the tunnel, under the road started, a bit risky but we'd done it before, and waited.
The train that eventually went rushing past was called 'Warspite', maybe nothing remarkable about her looks but a train that we'd never seen before, in all of our years spotting.
We legged it to catch up with Bruce, to let him know what we'd seen, he then tried making out that he had actually seen it, but he didn't, if you're ever talking to a Bruce, and he makes claim to having seen Warspite, don't necessarily believe him.

If there happens to be a spate of 'Brucies', laying claim to that fact then I am quite willing to reveal his surname.

Ray.