View Single Post
Old 17th August 2007, 09:41

On entry to Huddersfield station you have to either go past people checking tickets or join the back of the ticket office queue. (Ticket machines are also located at the entrance) This caused problems for someone I know who went in to renew their railcard but wasn’t planning to make a rail journey on the same day. After purchasing a new railcard they had to go past the people checking tickets with a new railcard and no ticket. This made one member of staff think that he had made a rail journey without purchasing a ticket. It would also allow someone to go to a window at the ticket office and ask something like “How would I get to Birmingham from here?” and then have access to the platforms without a ticket.

I myself had a problem with automated ticket barriers on the Spanish railway. When you are issued with a ticket there you have to be careful to allow the ink to dry before putting your ticket away. I didn’t and consequently the machine wouldn’t accept my ticket on exit at the station. It should also be noted that on Spanish rail tickets there are arrows showing which way to insert your ticket in to a ticket barrier, suggesting that automated ticket barriers are seen as the norm there.