Thread: Strike
View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2022, 13:40

Yo Steve, I was wondering where you'd got to.

Yes this government has a pledge to break the unions, and now they've turned on the railway. This battle has been a long time coming.

The Millionaires have vowed to do away with Booking Office staff, having already signed the death warrant for Guards. They also want to remove platform staff. And signallers are being phased out.

Which only leaves the drivers (ASLEF) - who aren't on strike at the moment. However we're all aware that when the Digital Railway comes about there'll be no need for them either, as everything in the 'system' will be controlled by Big Brother computer in the Control Bunker (Rail Operating Centre, ROC).

It makes me very sad, because ultimately it will be be a lose-lose situation. Travelling by train will be way more hellish for the passengers than it already is (with hardly any staff around, the crime rate will soar - I've seem this in South London when they withdrew station staff).

Still, I'm very lucky to be out of it. Speaking of which - my number came up at last and I've begun diesel training at my local heritage railway. I tried a steam day, which was way too much like hard work. Don't fancy starting all that hot gruelling work at 60!

But the diesels are fun, and I'm loving it. Included is a pic of the Class 31. What a lovely machine.

So finally I have found somewhere magical to hide and get all nostalgic, while the real world turns to sludge.

Keep safe, BW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5631 small.jpg (113.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 22nd June 2022 at 14:07.