View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2020, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Not sure who that was directed at, but that's not what I was suggesting. A train driver is required to drive at full speed when running under clear aspects. Any less than that and they'll be pulled up for not keeping to time.

I meant my comments to be directed towards Company Driving Policy / Rulebook requirements. And I stand by it - I believe drivers should be INSTRUCTED to run at caution whenever there is a significant risk of landslide or track damage.

I'm not looking to blame anyone for this, but these weather events seem to be increasing. Network Rail (who run the infrastructure) should have carried out a risk assessment of rivers and culverts in hilly country. I believe they should automatically impose blanket speed restrictions in heavy and continued wet weather, just as we regularly get them imposed in high winds out here on the Flatlands.

As regards to what speed to do under caution - I would drive at a speed which enabled me to stop short of any obstruction, EG maybe 30-50mph on a long straight, coming down to 15 or less on a tight curve if necessary. It's a judgement you make at the time.

But just to make it clear - the driver carries no blame for this if he has driven within the rules, and I don't believe anybody here is suggesting that he didn't.

As a side comment, we have a rule of thumb at my depot that we don't do Twitter or any other of the nasty Social Media - they seem to be full of nasty, angry people. It's very upsetting for a traincrew member or their family to read untrue and hurtful comments written by ignorant and misguided peole after an event they were involved in.

HTH, BW
Thanks for answering the question BW - as a non-railwayman, I was curious if there was a specified speed for running under caution and whether it would be given as an instruction in situations such as these.

Tony