View Single Post
Old 26th August 2019, 21:32

Great story Steve. I remember a few years ago, our safety section posted a little monologue about how they'd noticed that many drivers had mentioned in their post-accident reports that they'd felt that something hadn't seemed quite right at the time, but they'd pushed on ahead anyhow. The in-house TrickCyclist had opined that a person's subconsciousness can notice changes in patterns that our spatial awareness hasn't.

We were advised to slow down or even stop if we weren't happy about something, and try to find out what it was that was bothering us.

(Needless to say that when the franchise changed, the new owners were horrified to think that we were being advised to slow down 'on a whim'. We never saw the physciatrist again after that, but it is a technique I used to teach when instructing newbies.)

I'm sure most of have had an event where we felt something wasn't right. I remember a train being left with the brake released in a yard once when a driver stepped down a bit smartish, and I just wasn't sure whether I'd heard that little squeaky noise that the disc brake mechanisms make when they tighten up.

Cheers, BW.