View Single Post
Old 4th May 2021, 16:50

I have my answer!

Howdy assiesteve. I have made some discoveries. There are hectometer posts on French lines, although not visible, or maybe not there, on very high-speed lines.

They are positioned on some tracks at 100m, on other tracks at 200m. On French tracks I have seen only short posts on the left side of the track with a white marker showing the sub-km numbers, although in a video you usually can't see then numbers.

But here is the reason why I couldn't see them, or count them easily. First, they are often hidden by grass or weeds, or they are located (hidden) just behind one of the posts for the overhead power lines.

Then at every full km they have a tall post with a larger board showing the full km. But those posts may be on the right side of the track, thereby interrupting the counting pattern on the left side of the track, easily missed at 140km.

The full-km markers are a mixed lot. Sometimes they are white boards with black or red letter, or black boards with white or blue letter.

Anyway, once you can spot the variation installed on a particular track, it’s not too hard to see them, count them and time them to calculate the speed.

Thanks for your input, Fritz from Canada.