View Single Post
Old 26th October 2007, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
:- The bus drivers soon realised that the passengers were simply a hassle and inconvenience, as they got paid for running the busses full or empty regardless. It was much easier to not bother picking up passengers and many a time they would drive past a bus stop with people obviously waiting. Or they would stop the bus to let people get off by the middle doors, but refuse to open the front door to let the waiting passengers board because they couldnt be bothered to collect the 2p's.

I had to do a lot of walking in those days. - until I bought an old banger of a car
This has nothing to do with trains, trams etc but I caught the train to Doncaster a few months ago and made onward travel on a double decker bus. I didn't notice that the bus had a middle door until I wanted to get off and had gone to the front of the bus when the driver told me that I had to leave the bus through the middle doors. It's not something I've seen around Stockport or Altrincham where I more often use public transport. While it may help at peak times, doesn't it make it open to abuse if there's a long queue and someone jumps on in the middle while the driver's taking a fare?